Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using imported images in symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

nefaste

Programmer
Nov 2, 2005
FR
While trying to reduce my ai file's size, I've just realised something :

I've imported a psd image, which increases the file size by about 600Ko for each copy of it. I use this image as part of several symbols, and each instance of the symbols also increases the file size by 600Ko...

If I import the image as a link, the file size doesn't noticeably increase but Illustrator won't let me use it as part of a symbol.

I realise the ai file's big size is moslty from the multiple copies of this image.

The only workaround I can think of is getting rid of the symbols, import the image as a link, and simply make multiple copies of my objects which contain the image.

But this doesn't seem very clean... I would prefer to use symbols... Any idea ?

Hi nefaste,

Images can only be used as a symbol if you embed them in your document. Select the image go to Links pane, there you see a little black triangle where you will find the embed option. Now that the data is in your document you can use it as a symbol.

But I wouldn't advise it though. depending on the need of the image to be in your document several times it sometimes is better to create a template with image instances already placed. Or if it is a logo and you have Illustrator CS2 try vectorizing it, This way your pixels become vectors and the size will go down.

hope this helps
carlow

Thanks for your reply carlow.

I know that the image needs to be embedded to use it in a symbol. But it seems that Illustrator duplicates the image for each instance of the symbol and this results in a big file size.

I don't understand the point of making a template, could you elaborate ?

The image represents an explosion. I made it with Photoshop because it was better suited than Illustrator. It's a blobby thingy with lots of gradients from white to yellow to red. It won't look as good in vectors.

about the template. If your design is a repeating thing, liike businesscards, I love to work with templates.

When my templates is finished I throw away everything I don't need to the trashcan. For example all the colours that I don't use, the same for brushes, symbols, styles and so on... Then I do a 'save as' this often results in a dramatic loss on the weight of the file.

Then I reuse the template whenever it is needed.

Maybe with your file a template is not the thing to work with. But the throwing away and the 'save as' normally always works.
When working with images every instance of an image has to be recognized by Illustrator, thus the included data is mulitplied every time you use the data.

carlow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back