Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

owls

Instructor
Oct 10, 2002
US
Can someone please tell me how to get an image into a panel. I am using JBuilder to create my GUI. There doesn't seem to be a bean that is used exclusively for images. If you can tell me how to do it through Jbuilder, that would be great. If not I would even greatly appreciate the code that would do it. I tried using the setIcon method for a label but it wasn't working. I'm not sure how it wants me to list my file directory within the method.

Please help. I am a first time teacher of Java and would love to use graphics to enhance my students interest in programming.

This code should work using ImageIcon and a MediaTracker. BTW, I have had mixed results with IIS as the web server. Apache seems to never fail, but IIS doesn't do well when it gets busy.

private ImageIcon getIcon(String f) {
MediaTracker tr = new MediaTracker(this);
Image im;
ImageIcon ii = null;
int retries = 3;
try {
im = getImage(f);
tr.addImage(im, 0);
ii = new ImageIcon(im);
} catch( Exception e) {
System.out.println("Bad Filename: "+f);
System.out.println("Error: "+e);