Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Image of one pc on another with different HW 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chkmg

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
EU
Hi, I am aware of the fact that we need to run sysprep in order to run one computer's system partition's image on another but is it possible to run Linux's image on another pc without such hassle? Many thanks in advance!

You'd be suprised at how well Linux will adapt to new hardware. I had a server die so I pulled the drive slapped it into a new, very dissimilar box and I was up and running in 3 minutes.

WOW, talk about Convenience! Thanks ericbrunson, you really made my life easy.

One thing you should consider: is it running the distribution stock kernel?

If so, you should be fine.

Custom kernel, you may have problems.

good luck dude.

Mag0007, I have no idea what you just said here? I have installed the kernel that came with Debian Woody Cd. Its a 2.4 Kernel, hope its fine according to waht you pointed out?

Regards,

chkmg:

when I say stock, I mean the kernel that came with the distribution. In your case you should be fine.

When I say custom, I mean the user has compiled a kernel for some reason or fun.

good luck

Good to hear that in my case its NP, thanx for your help.

Regards,
Chkmg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back