Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using iif for nulls is not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

vba317

Programmer
Mar 5, 2009
US
I have a query that is giving me null values. So when I copy the results into a spreadsheet I get blanks. I need to rework the query to avoid doing this. If have tried using the iif statement. I don't get an error but I am still getting blanks. I was hoping to get some assistance. The code is in the field of the query.

Tom

Code:
Total Of workrvu: IIf(IsNull([workrvu]),0,([workrvu]))

I haven't tried this, but I'm sure I've seen something similar. You've got 2 choices:

a) Try IIf([workrvu]=Null,0,[workrvu])
b) Write a short function in VBA to check the value.

I think a) wil work as I'm sure I've come across something very similar, yet I can't remember over what.

Give it a try and let me know if it works,

Thanks

F.

Fitz
Did you know, there are 10 types of people in this world:
* Those who understand binary
and
* Those who Don't!!

Dhookom,
I tried your solution but I am sill getting blanks.

How sure are you that it's returning NULL values and not empty strings?

Try:

a) IIf(Len([workrvu])<0,0,([workrvu]))

- or -

b) IIf([workrvu]="",0,([workrvu]))

F.

Fitz
Did you know, there are 10 types of people in this world:
* Those who understand binary
and
* Those who Don't!!

Fitz,

I tried the solution IIf([workrvu]=Null,0,[workrvu])and IIf(Len([workrvu])<0,0,([workrvu]))
I am getting the error You tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression IIf(Len([workrvu])<0,0,([workrvu])) as part of an aggregate function

Dhookom,
I tried your solution but I am sill getting blanks.

I agree with Duane this is a good solution. I am guessing if you are getting blanks it is because that is what is stored in [workrvu] which could happen if it is not defined as numeric, or if you are sending the data to Excel using VBA a parameter may be missing, or maybe the spreadsheet itself is formtting its cells to print blanks for zeroes?
Just some random thoughts...

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Did you try:
[tt]
Total Of workrvu: IIf(Trim([workrvu] & "") = "", 0, [workrvu])
[/tt]

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

I didn't think this mattered but maybe it does. The query I am having the problem with is part of a cross-tab query. So if I look at the table the query is based on, the table has no blanks or zeros. But this is a query that is based on seeing a code for every month in the year. So even thou the table has no zeros in it. As the data gets aggregated there could be data in Jan for a code and no info in Mar and this would be acceptable.

Code:
TRANSFORM IIf(Trim([workrvu] & "")="",0,[workrvu]) AS [Total Of workrvu]
SELECT [cptcode] & "-" & [cptcomp] AS CPT, dbo_tmp_rpt_dat_CPTRVU.cptdesc, dbo_tmp_rpt_dat_CPTRVU.unitrvu
FROM dbo_tmp_rpt_dat_CPTRVU
WHERE (((dbo_tmp_rpt_dat_CPTRVU.unitrvu)>0))
GROUP BY [cptcode] & "-" & [cptcomp], dbo_tmp_rpt_dat_CPTRVU.cptdesc, dbo_tmp_rpt_dat_CPTRVU.unitrvu
ORDER BY [cptcode] & "-" & [cptcomp]
PIVOT dbo_tmp_rpt_dat_CPTRVU.rptpd;

Why do you "copy the results into a spreadsheet" rather than perform the query in a QueryTable in your sheet, or via ADO? The empty cells would be where the belong.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

The problem is I am copying the results of the query into a spreadsheet which feeds another sheet. When the blank value gets into the final spreadsheet from the data worksheet I get a #VALUE! error. I want to get rid of the #VALUE! error, the only way to do that is to have a zero in every cell in the data sheet. I was hoping that there would be an automated solution vs me entering 1000's of zeros into this worksheet.

Being a database developer, I am not so fluent with Excel but I seem to recall either a formula or FormatCell solution for this. I will ask around the shop and post back tomorrow if I find anything.

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Sometimes I get lucky and an idea comes to me.

In the final sheet I added the following code and it works fine.

Code:
=IF(ISBLANK(DATA!D2),0,(DATA!D2))

Nz in cross-tab query works, for instance:
TRANSFORM Nz(sum([workrvu]),0) AS [Total Of workrvu] ...

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back