Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using IF statement in excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgaetos

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2006
US
How do I write an if statement to compare a cell to a range of cell? What I want to do is compare a name to a list of names on a sparate spreadsheet and mark it if it finds match on that list.

Maybe something like this...
Assuming the name you are looking for is in G1 and the list is Sheet2 - A1:A12

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$12,G1)>0,"Present","")

Lilliabeth
-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will do?-

That worked so that I can mark it, but what if I want the output to be a date that is related to the cell that matches my comparison.

So, say my list my list is Sheet2-A1:A12 and the dates that correspond with each name is Sheet2-B1:B12.

If there is a match, I want the date listed in Sheet2-B1:B12 to be the output of the cell.

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(G1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$12,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(G1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$12,2,FALSE))

Lilliabeth
-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will do?-

I'm using that previous function, but rather than pulling a corresponding date field I am trying to pull a text field, but if there is no text in the field the output is a 0. How to I get it to output "blank" if there is no text to pull from the other sheet?

On that same note, if there is no date given it gives January 0, 1900 as the date. How do I get the output to be blank rather than that date?

Hi,

Regarding dates...

Why do Dates and Times seem to be so much trouble? faq68-5827
[tt]
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(G1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$12,2,FALSE)),"",if(VLOOKUP(G1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$12,2,FALSE)=0,"",VLOOKUP(G1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$12,2,FALSE)))
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back