Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using IE to reach an FTP site/Syntax Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwbMarvin

Programmer
Jun 14, 2000
US
Visit site
I know or at least I use to know how to reach an FTP site with IE and provide the user id and login password for that site from within Internet Explorer<br><br><A HREF="ftp://sitename" TARGET="_new">ftp://sitename</A> and then I need to include my username and login password. I know that this is relatively easy thing, I just forgot the syntax for accomplishing this. If I enter <A HREF="FTP://sitename" TARGET="_new">FTP://sitename</A>, I connect but the system won't accept me because the password is invalid. If anyone knows the syntax I would greatly appreciate it, Thanks <p>Dave Brown<br><a href=mailto:dabrown@telespectrum.com>dabrown@telespectrum.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

try this&gt;&gt;&gt;<A HREF="ftp://user:<A HREF="mailto:password@server.domain.com">password@server.domain.com</A>" TARGET="_new">ftp://user:<A HREF="mailto:password@server.domain.com">password@server.domain.com</A></A><br><br> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

When you try to open a ftp connection with ie you have to try to get access to the actuall folder your in.&nbsp;&nbsp;When you try to log in like <A HREF="ftp://ftp.whatever.com/" TARGET="_new">ftp://ftp.whatever.com/</A> you are actually trying to log in as the anoynomous user not yourself.&nbsp;&nbsp;What you should do is use this syntax <A HREF="ftp://ftp.whatever.com/username/&nbsp" TARGET="_new">ftp://ftp.whatever.com/username/&nbsp</A>;&nbsp;If this works correctley it will prompt you for your username and password and then give you access to that directory.&nbsp;&nbsp;This method may vary based on what type of server you are accessing.&nbsp;&nbsp;Again i don't know why ie people decided to do it this way, instead of the normal ftp authentication.&nbsp;&nbsp;This also assumes that the way to get to your ftp site from the internet would be <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> this does work with sites like angelfire that use multiple servers to hold webpages.&nbsp;&nbsp;good luck, email me if you really can't figure it out :)<br> <p>moses<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br>"In the beginning there was HTML, and it was good"<br>
by Nick Heinle, Designing with JavaScript<br>
<br>
<br>

well... my college's ftp site can be reached at ccc.wpi.edu ... My username is <FONT FACE=monospace>lmorley</font> ... I tried <FONT FACE=monospace><A HREF="ftp://ccc.wpi.edu/home/lmorley/" TARGET="_new">ftp://ccc.wpi.edu/home/lmorley/</A></font>, but got a &quot;The page cannot be displayed&quot; error... same thing for <FONT FACE=monospace><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> So is that right? <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

did you try <A HREF="ftp://username:<A HREF="mailto:password@ccc.wpi.edu">password@ccc.wpi.edu</A>" TARGET="_new">ftp://username:<A HREF="mailto:password@ccc.wpi.edu">password@ccc.wpi.edu</A></A> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I'm guessing you didn't type in all that TARGET=&quot;_new&quot; stuff, I'm not sure how that's getting thrown in there... although I tried a derivative, and I'm having partial success.. thanks, I'll keep trying. <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back