Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Hyperterminal on the console port

Status
Not open for further replies.

taubate

Programmer
Jun 29, 2001
US
I have been trying to use hyperterminal to telnet to a 3620 and 1600 using the powder blue management cable (serial one end, ethernet on the other) connect to my winXPpro laptop. I use COM1 on my laptop.

No matter what settings I try, I am unsuccessful. The session shows "connected", but doesn't respond to any keystrokes or the Enter key.

I checked my laptop COM1 settings and verified that things are okay there. I also used the same cable on a Cisco 678 series DSL modem and worked just fine.

Any advice? Thanks.

Someone may have changed the console settings on the router itself. I have a few of those cables, put it in the AUX port and try it again, just like the console port....Then change the console settings back to 8-n-1-none

Syty

So should I plug the cable into tje AUX port and login with the same settings and commands?

I'm having a similar problem. Trying to console into a Cisco 2511 Router. I'm using the management cable that came with my Cisco 678 but I am not sure if this is the same type rollover cable for the Cisco 2511. I built my own rollover cable (didn't work) but I don't have a way to test it. I also tried the Aux port with the same problem. It seams to connect but I can't communicate with it. (No text) The Management cable works ok on the Cisco 678. Do I need an AUI just to console in? (I don't have one yet but have one on order.)

I set Hyperterm to (9600, 8-none-1) Also tried (8-none-2)
I'm using winXP Home Edition. We use WinXP Pro edition in School when we console into the 2621 Routers.

Any Suggestions?

At the risk of sounding like a smarta** :) I would suggest for the first thing is to dump HyperTerm and use something like Teraterm which is free and works every single time. Unlike HyperTerm which has some issues.

The other suggestion is there is a free update to Hyperterm from the home site of Hyperterm. We have the link for this plus alot of other utilities here:

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

It's not hyperterminal, what exactly are you getting on the screen? It works just fine on the other router, eliminates your misconfiguring HT, you have already verified your settings, and the cable is good.

If you are getting the "Press RETURN to get started!" statement, then it's not IOS.

can you hit break when you reboot the router and gain access at that point?

Turn the router off, turn it on, then hold CNTRL+BREAK, then delete then initialize the FLASH and wipe the NVRAM, restart the router again, and you'll be able to set it up.

When I hyperterm into the router nothing happens at all. No error message or anything. The text curser just sits and flashes. I'm not even able to type any text on the screen. ctr-break has no response. (I'm using the new Hyperterm personal version but I have tried both versions)

The light on the router next to the aux port lights up and it seems to be booting up ok, I just can't communicate with it. :-(

When I end the HyperTerm session it says I'm connected and asks if I want to save as if all was well.

Solved my problem by using PUTTY to telnet. Select the output and it is automatically copied. Then paste onto notepad. Mission accomplished.

it sounds to me that you've got a cable problem. Try several different ones, rollover and x cable. hyperterminal or teraterm both will do, same as the OS on your pc, doesn't matter a lot.

Make sure your hyperterm settings are correct. They should be:

baud rate : 9600
data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: None

The powder blue cable is fine to use.

The router's console port defaults to these settings. Every router I have ever worked on has these defaults.

HTH,
Nick

Also, it may seem obvious, but you're not using telnet through the console port. If you're trying to access the console session through a telnet session, that may be the issue. I've seen many students try...

Well.. lets also add that MS Hyperterm does not support the break keys correctly or more precisely, the same way everyone else does.

From "
Sorry for the delay, but here it is the summary. I received a lot of
email replies and the one that I followed was to use teraterm pro and
with it, sending a break is as easy as Alt-B or selecting a menu option
under the control menu.

BTW, hyperterm does not send break, I did try CTRL+Break, Shift+Break,
Alt+Break, Break and just about any combination with the break key.
None of them work.

I have been using teraterm pro for years as a telnet replacement but
never as a serial port terminal. I highly recommend teraterm pro (it
even support ssh with the TTSSH addon). The site where you can find it
is
There were several that suggested using #~ which I did not understand.
I did try Shift key + number 3 key + ~ key but nothing happened...

-----------end--------------

this is an ongoing problem with Hyperterminal hence the suggestion to use Teraterm or as someone suggested "Putty"

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Thanks for the responses.

I ordered a cisco console cable from ebay and that worked just fine. There must be a difference in the pin-out from the console cable from my 678 DSL router and the Flat Cisco console cable for the 2511. I did have to clear the old password but I was using the newer hyperterm and control/break worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back