Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using GPO to clear temp internet files

Status
Not open for further replies.

EntilzaSte

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
GB
Hi,

We run Windows 2000 at the server and a mix of 2000 pro and xp pro at the desktop, all with Internet Explorer 6.

I use a GPO to set proxy settings etc, and have locked out all but the security tab in the internet explorer options.

Problem is this means we cant have the user clear their own temp internet store.

Is there anyway I can do this via GPO or any other method?

Thanks

Steve

as i know, storing user's profile on a domain server should solve the problem, as the Temporary Internet Files folder won't be copied..
hope this will help

You can change the registry on the server where the user profile is stored to point to a different folder.
HKEY_Users on Local Machine/Default User/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/User Shell Folders/Cache

Change path to where you want the internet temp files stored. Make sure the new folder has read/write permissions for everyone.

If people have logged on that server before, or if the user's profile is on their local machine and not a server, you can go user by user in the registry and make the change or write a login script to make the registry change.

:)
Traci

Traci,

Thanks for that, I will have a go at scripting it.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back