Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using External Speakers instead of internal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomAntPallot

Programmer
May 26, 2007
GB
Hello I have a music program that creates beeps on the internal speaker.

Is there any way that anyone knows of to change the settings so that the external speakers (the soundcard) are used instead, meaning that I have control over the output.

Cheers

Really? Wow..... the internal PC speaker is usually monophonic (one note at a time)... it doesn't usually reproduce sound well at all.

Are you sure that there's not a setting in your program to choose the audio output device? Which program is it?

Just my 2¢
-ARRGH! All my clothes are wrinkled! Oh, the irony!

--Greg

Its actually a program I wrote in Delphi to make silly random note music based on the triads from which ever key you choose.

On my old laptop (win2K) the beeps go through the soundcard but on my new Desktop(xp) the beeps come out the stupid little internal speaker.

So I can not record them!!

DomAntPallot

I am having a similar issue with the Toggle Keys beeps on my new build, they come from the system piezo not the external. Worked fine with another XP system so it's not the OS. Never really tried to track it down...I will watch and wait along with you.

I am not going down without a fight. I found this link:

that has a useful diagram BUT...no mention of how to get the case speaker output directed to a sound card. I reset my BIOS from HD Audio to AC97. I also read the MB Manual to see if there's any jumpers to be set...nada. Apparently the case speaker is a separate subsystem from the Audio device.

If I get frustrated enough I might make a cable that goes from the "case speaker" header to the "CD -in" header just to see what happens. Yes I know about impedance mismatching but I am at that point...

...I had a toilet plumbing line blowout yesterday and came home to an inch of water in my 2600 s/f 3-year old house, now I am sitting home amidst an array of 22 industrial fans and 8 industrial dehumidifiers, like living inside a clothes dryer, I am just about bored enough to try it.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back