Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Exchange to Manage SPAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballmama

Instructor
May 21, 2002
US
Like everyone, I am being overwhelmed with SPAM. Do you have any rules set up using Exchange to manage this? The only thing I know of is to reject certain users and that's completely ineffective. In my environment if more than 10 people receive a copy of the same email, it is SPAM. Is there a way to deny these multiple instances?

Any ideas are gladly accepted. I want to use a 3rd party software, but my bosses are balking.

Mailessentials from is a pretty good solution for that.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Thanks. I am thinking of implementing the freebie from Mailessentials. Before my bosses will $$$ for anything, I have to prove that a Microsoft answer does not exist.

Don't worry, there is no 100% SPAM free solution, so don't get your hopes up too high.
You could always let spam through for you boss, maybe then he will give you the needed $$$ ;-)

That's exactly why he's finally thinking of doing something about it. It is affecting his mailbox. :)

I already know that there isn't a 100% effective management tool. And, in reality, I'm a little worried about blacklisting legitimate email. But, we've got to have some relief. I almost had users trained to protect their email identity, etc. And then we hired the boss' teenage son for the summer. See, he's "real smart" and "knows a lot about computers." Well, just because they have the high score on a lot of games doesn't mean they can do what we do. He's actually a good kid who could stand to learn a lot from us.

We use mail essentials here and it reduced the spam to about 98%. there are many good features on there. I definitely recommend it

I know the type, the boss's son is always a reaaly smart kid, don't you forget that ;-)

Another good product is Surf COntrol E-Mail filter ( We use that and our SPAM as gone way down. It also blokck with file types, adult content, and anything else you want to block on.

i use a very good tool, its really effective and easy to manage, the name of the solution is IHATESPAM ,you can download an evaluation copy fron there site, its really good.and the price just right.
good luck

What I found worked well was a product called XWall.

It was priced reasonably and allows you to use a variety of filtering methods (querying blacklists, creating naughty word lists, blocking by attachment type, etc).

Trend Micro Scanmail also worked well when used on the mailbox stores themselves (we had a couple of SMTP gateways that were controlled by a different division that didn't implement filtering at the gateway). Honestly though, using multiple layers of filtering is the best way to make a big dent in the flood of spam. That, and being cautious about giving out email addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back