Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using DSL and DUN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
A friend of mine recently got DSL Internet hookup from Verizon. It works fine, but he needs to use DUN to access a work server that is not internet related. Verizon put filters on the phone lines but when trying his former DUN connection he gets the error message "No Dialtone" The telephone works on this line so we know there is a dialtone. The OS is Windows98, the modem is a V90 PCI analog modem. Verizon assures him with the filter on the line he should be able to connect with his regular modem as he did before the DSL was installed, yet all we get is the error message. Please help, this is needed for work.

The first thing he needs to look at (and I know this sounds silly), is the cord plugged into the proper jack in the dialup modem. The next thing I would look for is an IRQ conflict between the installed ethernet card from the DSL. The next thing would be to open the modem properties under control panel and query the modem and read the responses to the AT commands. I would check under properties that the COM port is the proper one for the modem. If all else fails, I would remove the modem physically from the computer and reinstall it. Sometimes this will work. Good Luck
Peace and Mercy
Seth

Also, he may want to try dialing with an X1 or X3 in the dial string, like:

ATX1DT

so that the modem will ignore call progress tones, like dial tone and busy, etc. This is sometimes called blind dialing.

I had a similar issue with a Covad DSL I had installed. After the DSL went in, I could rarely connect at a rate over 36K, when I consistently got 52K for the two years prior to the DSL being installed. Although the DSL circuit will not audibly alter the talk path, it will alter it for high speed modem connections.

With all of the minor phase and amplitude shifts that a modem must go through to achieve these high speed connections, the DSL cannot help but impact it.

BTW, my problem affected both of my phone lines, even though only one of the lines had the DSL circuit on it. Just being in close proximity to the high frequency signal was enough to cause minor degradations in my analog modem connections.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back