Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Distribution groups for internal mail only

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobti

Technical User
Aug 7, 2006
GB
Hi,

I want to setup a distribution group in active directory called Employees.
However I don’t want people sending emails to Employees@mydomain.com from the outside world, as this would be a gift for spammers, as all the members would receive the mail.

However I do want the group to show up in the Global Address list and for it to be used so that uses can use it inside the company.

How is this done in Exchange/Windows 2k, as when I remove the email address from the group, the group disappears from the Global Address List in Outlook.

Thanks

On the EXCHANGE GENERAL tab, at the bottom, is there a section that says "Message Restrictions"? I don't have a 2000 box handy, but I think you can select the "From authenticated users only" checkbox IIRC

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Since internal e-mail doesn't require outside SMTP, how about removing the smtp entry for employees@mydomain.com from the e-mail address tab in AD Users and Computers or change it to something bogus (employees@myfakedomain.local)

Thanks for the replys

58sniper:
"From authenticated users only" is a EX2003 and later feature. But in 2000 you can add an "allowed to receive from" distrubution group(s) which did the trick.

Thanks for your help.

Yes Bob you are correct sorry. I was looking at it from my XP machine which has the exchange 2003 management client installed. It must have added that option to my management console. I checked on my EX server itself and it did not show up. I'm curious it it will work for me even though I do not have EX 2003. I'll have to give it a try and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back