Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using different gateways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvhusker

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2006
US
Is it possible to have a Windows 2000 server use two different gateway addresses successfully? One gateway address is going to our disaster recovery site and the other gateway goes out the the internet. We need all servers to have access to both gateways. We found an option under TCP/IP Properties to add gateway addresses but this does not seem to do what we want it to. Thanks.

Are you saying that the server is connected at layer two to different routers that lead to different locations? If so, perhaps using static routes in the server would be beneficial. Depending on your topology, perhaps HSRP or VRRP might be a better fit.

Can you tell us a bit more about how all of this is actually connected?

Okay, I will do my best to describe our setup.

We have LAN1 with about 50 servers. These are all connected to Gigabit switches that are connected to a PIX 525 and then out to the internet. That gateway address to our PIX 525 is 167.154.191.1. The PIX then gives particular machines that have access to the internet the proper acl to get out to the internet on our 68.244.199.2 interface that is connected to our Cisco 2611 router at 66.244.199.1 interface. That router then sends everything out the 66.244.199.1 to the internet. This works great, no issues.

We then had a Disaster recovery router that was connected to the same firewall and setup primarily the same as the internet router except it only went through a dedicated T-1 line, not to the internet. We started using a replication software for replicating our production servers to our disaster recovery site and found that this data which was being sent through the firewall and then out the DR router was very slow and bandwidth was not being utilized.

We decided to eliminate the firewall for our connection to DR and just go from our switches to the 2611 and then out the T1 to DR. We have a 2611 at the DR site for our connection there. This has helped our throughput a ton. We can now utilize all bandwidth across that line. Why would going through the firewall limit our bandwidth between the two sites? Is it because it was handling too much traffic?

Right now we have a 167.154.191.x network that is LAN1 connected to our 167.154.192.x network which is LAN2 (DR). The issue that we are noticing is that for our production servers to connect to DR, we need to change the default gateway to the router that goes to DR, therefore losing any opportunity to have those machines, or the machines at DR to have any internet access. I hope this makes sense. If I need to give any more information, please let me know and I can try and elaborate with more detail. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back