Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using dhcp on Vlan's configured with HSRP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgie

Technical User
Feb 4, 2003
GB
Guy's

I was wondering if it is possible to configure HSRP to also include DHCP as a standby also.

I currently have 2 3750's, MLS1 & MLS2 that are configured with HSRP on Vlan's 2 & 4. MLS1 currently acts as a DHCP server for both these Vlans. Would it be possible to configure MLS2 to take over DHCP should MLS1 fail.

The only way I can think of at the moment is to split the address pool over the 2 switches, is there another way?

Thanks in advance

If you have MLS1 and MLS2 in "stack" format (diasy chained) then they act as one chassis, and the DHCP info is balanced between them... Of course my answer assumes they are next to each other...

===

AJ - (Formerly FatmanSuperstar)

Sorry AJ1982,

I forgot to say that they are not stacked, they are connected by two seperate DOT1Q trunks between two buildings, they also each have a layer 3 connection to our main router R1.

Regards

Had a feeling that would be your answer :p

I would reccommend, if you have to use Cisco DHCP to split the subnets, as you suggest. Or do you have the option of Cluster MS Servers?

===

AJ - (Formerly FatmanSuperstar)

Unfortunately a server is not an option.

Thanks for posting AJ1982, I think splitting the subnets will be the answer for now.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back