Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Desing Patterns with PowerBuiilder

Status
Not open for further replies.

1rstSol

Programmer
Mar 8, 2005
FR
I’m studying the possibility of changing our programming language, so I don’t really know yet all PowerBuilder possibilities.
I wonder if it is possible to use concepts such as Design Patterns in PowerBuilder knowing that all the base is calling constructors in different places by invoking functions as “new MyClass( )”.

Are u referring the Design paterns, the one followed in J2EE technology?

I refer the Design Pattern concept such as defined by Christopher Alexander in 70’s and developed by the “Gang of Four” (Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, et John Vlissides). About 23 patterns to use in OOP. So, in fact, I don’t know J2EE technology.

Powerbuilder is a fully object oriented language so if you want to put the time into using design patterns the answer to your question is Yes.

To specify my question, the use of Design Patterns is established on the dynamic instantiating of objects to allow them to get a real type chosen during the compilation using the heritage tree.
In fact, all this is possible because in languages such as C++ or JAVA, we can call object’s constructor by calls like “A a = new A( );” and if the class B inherit of class A, we can also write “B b = new B( ); … a = b;”.
All the most, a variable declaration can be separated of its instantiation.
I haven’t found yet such a possibility in PowerBuilder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back