Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using DDE in Visual Basic

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicagirl55

Programmer
Oct 9, 2002
US
I'm using DDE with VB6 to write to a database in Access. Every once in a while I get an error and the program stops writing to the database because the DDE service has stopped on the computer. Does anybody know what I need to do to make the program run continuously without me having to physically restart the service on the computer again?

Hi,

I would really recommend not using DDE, instantiate the Access olb and you will have much better control over the app. OLE has pretty much replaced DDE. You can use the object browser to find the Access object.

If you have trouble let me know, I will post some sample code.

Good Luck, Tammy

I am using some older hardware that the program is controlling so I've been told that I can't swithch over from DDE. I looked into replacing that hardware but it's several thousand dollars that we can't afford in the lab at the moment. If you have any tips for using DDE still I would greatly appreciate it, but thanks for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back