Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using DCOM over the Internet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnk

MIS
Jun 3, 1999
US
We have developed multi-tier apps in VB using DCOM. They work well on LANs and also using dial-up phone connection. We would like to use this fat client technology over the Internet.<br>
<br>
Is it practical to do so? Can you point me to specific how-to info?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
JohnK

Hi john,<br><br>You say that you have used DCOM and VB over your LAN. I am currently doing just that.<br><br>It's very frustrating since I am simply using trial and error to make it all work.<br><br>I have a Remote ActiveX Exe running in the account of User 'A'.<br><br>My Client machines can attach to the Remote Class as long as they are of the same user 'A'.<br><br>As soon as I try to attach to the Remote Class as User 'B'<br>I get the message 'Permission Denied'. I've tried tweaking the DCOM settings but it just does not work.<br><br>This error always occurs when I make some changes to my Remote ActiveX Server and recompile it. Could it be something to do with compatibility?<br><br>Your advise and expertise is most appreciated.<br><br>Ibs.

Ibraaheem,&nbsp;&nbsp;Our solution is not very elegant, but I'm glad to share it.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am not myself very technical, so you may have to ask back for details.<br><br>We use the security functions of NT Server in a reverse sort of way.&nbsp;&nbsp;We give out users administrative priviledge which allows them to instantiate objects on the server.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then we select security options which limit their access to only the files and directories they need.<br><br>I'll bet there is a better way, but this works for us.<br> <p>John Kisner<br><a href=mailto:jlkisner@jlkisner.com>jlkisner@jlkisner.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hi John.<br><br>We are working on also a DCOM app, which would have to work over Internet whether dial up. Of course it doesn't work today 'cause we always get the RPC server is unavailable, but we got some MS support. <br>I don't know exactly, but I think, you have to looking for the <font color=blue><b>CoInitializeSecurity</b></font> controll and the settings of it.<br><i>If you have a working version of your DCOM app, could you send me a detailed overview of your server and client settings? (for examp.: we use clireg32.exe myfile.vbr -t myfile.tlb -a 1 -s 'ourserverIP' -d)</i><br><br>regards,<br>Kirilla<br>

Hi everyone.
I am sort of having the same dificulties.
I want to develop an application that has a front end presentation layer on the client machine, that call several functionality gathered as a com dll (or exe or both)...
Since this dll will be changing from time to time and new ones will be added I want a dinamic way of callying these
dll function in a smooth way, and transparent to the user.
I require a system where I do not necessary need to login in
but at the same time, a security functionality is a must (you figure it out). Since It is a system to be working over the internet, The server will be in fact an IP address and not I server name...
If you can help me to achieve this I will compensate financially....

Thanks

having read this thread fairly extensively and now hitting (what appears to me to be ) major problems that many of those who have added to this thread may have overcome i would as that you have a look at the question posted in the same area at..thread195-10230 in the hope that someone out there may help me before i go grey/bald or both!
PLEASE!
mark

Mark Saunders
:)

Hi,

I am a new programmer on Dcoms. I found this technology very usefull for my next projects and would like to tell me what books to I need to start learning this technology. At this moment I am using vb6 with access and pass-through queries from many different databases (Paradox, AS400, Oracle and SQL).

So, can you please help me start learning this technology?

Regards
Andreas

Andreas,

I started with a book called &quot;Visual Basic 6 Business Objects&quot; by Rockford Lhotka and published by Wrox. Wrox has many great books for COM and MTS as well. Deborah Kurata has a very popular book &quot;Doing Objects in Visual Basic 6&quot; (Sam's Publishing).

For accessing data on the AS400, we use a product called ActiveObjects/400 from a company called System Objects. It is an excellent product and they have a full trial version.

I hope this helps!
Tarek

The more I learn, the more I need to learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back