Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using DB Connection without access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkgecko

Programmer
Sep 30, 2004
US
I have an access 2003 program that connects to an SQL database. We have both a development server (for me) with a database, and a production server (to which I do not have access) for the users. The database layouts and stored procs mirror each other, but the data inside the tables is different (dev contains fake data, prod has real data).

I am having a problem with my data link. I have to develop and test within the development enviroment, so I have to change my connection string / data link to development (setting it in code overwrites the Data Link Properties window as well). But then access won't let me change it back to production, because I don't have access and it won't let me set the data link to a database I cannot access.

I was hoping to just leave the data link pointing to development and then change it to production in the first line of code, but that doesn't work; it checks the connection before any code is run, and the users crash. I have not been able to find a way to trap this codeless error, so have had to add an extra day to updates so I can send my adp to someone else to establish the connection, then they return it to me and I compile it back into an ade, then I send it back to them and they put an indicator in the database that a new program update is available.... tedious and inefficient, especially during the holiday season when my DBA isn't here to manage updates.

Any suggestions on how to force the connection string in, even though Microsoft considers it invalid? We are trying to get me a login with no permissions on the prod server so I can at least establish a connection, but our security people are dragging their feet about that. I'm stumped.

[blue]When birds fly in the correct formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.[/blue]

Users connect using integrated Windows Security, by the way.

[blue]When birds fly in the correct formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.[/blue]

Not sure how you would force an invalid connection string through?? I've always used SQL Server authentication with my ADP files to avoid problems like this...can't you just have your DBA associate your Windows network ID with a SQL Server login ID?? At least then you would be able to compile your ADE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back