Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using data from several databases 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

billheath

Technical User
Mar 17, 2000
US
I have an application that links to data in 12 different tables in another users database. There are 8 of these users databases in existance, each with there own 12 tables.

In order to change which users database is to be used, I have been renaming each to the name that the access link is looking for. This gets very cumbersome and could result in overwriting a user's data.

Is there a way to change the link adresses, each time the main database is opened, giving a choice of which data to use to the operator? I have designed an opening form from which to make the choice. How do I pass the information to the linked files to redirect them.

Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill,
It's a bit of a handful but you could offer the "change" by means of a form, then using the common dialog control, find the database and relink to it....This seems like an odd situation however. Have you considered centralizing the data or have you reviewed "replication" as options? :) Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Try to learn client/server tehnology. John Fill
ivfmd@mail.md

If you articulate the objectives in their entirety (objectives, not methods) you'll probably get a good solution. Post again! Usually there's a direct way to do things...

A different direction?

First: use URL addressing for the databases, NOT links!

Second: define (DIM) a second database

Third: To "Change" databases, set te dbs and rst(s) for the second database to "Nothing"

Set the dbs to the Selected Users Database and the rst(s) to the appropiate tables.

NOTHING else in the entire db needs to be changed!

If I had to deal with this "Mess", I would set up a table of the Users database URL addresses and the Users Names / Ids and a combo box on a "User Selection" form. Selecting hte User here would call the routine to do all of the changes.

MichaelRed
redmsp@erols.com

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

How do you use URL addresses in place of Linking tables?

You 'just' define (Dimension) and Instantiate (Set) a database in Code.

Dim MyNewDb as Database
Set MyNewDb = Opendatbase("url path")

MichaelRed
redmsp@erols.com

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back