Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using custom help in access 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evotwo

Technical User
Mar 1, 2002
GB
I have built an HTML compiled custom help file using help workshop but it appears that access will not allow its use. If anyone has any info regarding the use of custom help files in access it would be really appreciated.

I'm a bit of a newbie, but from what I understand with Access 97 in order to create custom help files you have to purchase MS Office Developer. I don't know if this applies to Access 2000 and 2002 or not, but I read a post recently that addressed this issue.

Couldn't tell you where it was, but a search on the Access forums should reveal it.

Good luck!
Onwards,

Q-

I have come up with the same when searching but was hoping that there maybe a way arround this perhaps using vb. I cant call the help file from a command button either so it looks as though you are forced to go for the developer package.. Thanks for the response though..

If it's HTML maybe you could put a link on a form?
Onwards,

Q-

Try this to get your custom help to work.
Open the form you want to work with click on the properties and select the Form Load event add the following code.

Dim strHelpPath as String

strHelpPath = CurrentProject.Path & "\Myfilenamehere.hlp"

me.helpfile = strHelpPath

and no you don't need developer to create custom help files. One other thing in the above code I am assuming the help file is in the same directory as the current project. I use Windows Help Designer Pro and let me mention I have no affiliation with this company but they make a great product and I highly recommend it. Life's a journey enjoy the ride...

Microsoft has a tool called HTML WORKSHOP. It is included with the developers edition, but it can also be downloaded from the micorsoft web site. It is not located in the DOWNLOADS section from the main page. If you will enter it into the search engine, located in the upper left hand corner you will see a link. Also in the Knowledge Base there are several articles on how to link the HTMl help files to Access 2000. Also the F1 key must be enabled Or redirected in order for your help files to work. The HTML WORKSHOP is a GUI tool and is fairly easy to use. I am not sure of its interface with Access97.

Thanks everyone for the useful "help" on "help" supplied. I am new to this and really appreciate the info. I have now got help working a treat and all down to you. Unbelievably there is information in access's own help files which I had completely missed. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back