Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using CSV or txt file as data source for Imp reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagwoodnil

Programmer
Dec 11, 2002
CA
We have a special need in which we need to create a catalog to retrieve data from either a CSV file or a text file.

We are trying not to use the hotfile created by Impromptu.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Dagwood

Dagwood,

You should be able to configure the MS Text ODBC driver to work with Impromptu. It comes standard in the MDAC from Microsoft. I haven't used it before, and I doubt performance will be great with text files over 20k or so, but Impromtpu should work with it.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Dagwood,

I had similar needs on a project using Impromptu where data was being exported from an online query tool to a CSV file. To get the data into impromptu the easiest way I found was to open the CSV in Excel and save it as a DbaseV file format. Because Dbase is a database program Impromptu can read the file with no problem. This would elminate the need for an MS Text ODBC driver. Hope this helped.

Regards,
Shawn Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back