Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using cookies across servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleScooby

Programmer
Jun 1, 2001
GB

I am setting a cookie on one web server (W2K) using ASP via response.cookie. The asp then calls some subsequent asp's on another server (NT). On this platform I am attempting to do a request.cookie to process the original cookie content but its blank !?!?

Can I use cookies across servers like this, or do I need to do something differently ?

thanks,

S.

If the domain name of the two servers is different, then you cannot do this. It's a security thing.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

thanks tsdragon.

Can you or anybody else think of an alternative.
Im trying to pass on piece of sensitive data from one server to another. Initially cookies was considered but doesnt look possible.

I could add the cookie value into a named value pair and send it this way when I do the HTTP request to the second (NT) server. Only trouble is its a sensitive piece of data - is their a better way to send it / encrpyt it ?!?

thanks

S.

if you're developing for both servers, you can make a small cookie handling page and in frames or a sub form, handle session/values/variables on BOTH servers at the same time, that way you can syncronise data and use the frame/subform to update the other server's information this way to sync up the client on transitions and clean loads.

[thumbsup2]DreX
aKa - Robert
if all else fails, light it on fire and do the happy dance!
" I always think outside the 'box', because I'm never inside the 'loop' " - DreX 2005

If you use secure servers and https you won't have to worry about it. That's one option.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back