Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Computer Management MMC to alter other P.C. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonykblen

Programmer
Mar 25, 2003
IE
Hi,

Whwnever I try to use the Computer Management MMC to change the settings on any of the Win 2K machines (Both Server and Professional), an error message says it cannot find the network path to the machine, yet I can browse directories on the machine without any problems.

I am open to any suggestions as to what this might be.

Many thanks,

Tony.

Hi,

Yes I am logged in as domain admin along with admin and some other roles. Is there some kind of precedence here?

Tony.

MMC uses TCP , but browse directories uses NetBUI.
so ,, do the PCs have IPs ?

Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

I experience the same problem. (Can't understand why Microsoft set up the browser to use NetBUI if it can't use that as it's lookup!)

Recently set up static TCP/IP. Works fine.

When you select 'Connect to another PC', enter the static IP address of the PC you want to connect to instead of the NetBUI name and the MMC will find it.

Hope this helps.

Barry.

Barry :
they did this to do it easy for people who forget the numbers and preffer to work with names ..

anyway ,, I think It will work with static too ..

Mohamed Farid

Hi,

Does this mean that NetBEUI needs to be part of the protocol stack in order to use the MMC?

Many thanks for all of your help.

Tony.

Well ,,,
yes , and no ,,
if u put it the problem will be solved of course ,, but u have to know that the NetBEUI is not a routable protocol , so that if there is more than one segment in your Network , this will no be a suitable solution ,,
you can make WINs Server to retrive names to IPs ,,
or you can add the names in the host files ...

Mohamed Farid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back