Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Computer for System Programming 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ContinuousLearning

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
US
1) Where can I obtain the computer software to do System Programming on a KX-TD1232 phone system?

2) How do I go about hooking up a laptop or computer to the phone system to do programming on the phone system?

1) The software you will want is the KX-TD Progammator for the 1232 and VoiceMail Master if you have a Panasonic VPS. Their combined price is about $150 (US) and, IMHO, worth every penny.

2) You need a null modem cable with a DB-25 male terminator on the PBX's end and a DB-9 female on the the other to connect to your computer's serial port. Radio Shack sells the necessary adapters to convert a straight-through cable, but you can save yourself $15 by purchasing RJ-45 to DB-9/DB-25 converters and making your own null modem cable out of Cat5. I have the pin-outs somewhere if you want to go this route.

Sam

Thank you for your response. I will try to get the parts and try it out. Thanks.

i wouldnt bother with the pc programig having done both I find it more convinant to do it through a phone.

The Software program is a great time saver. We set up a template and download it into each new system and most of the programming is done. It is also usefull in backing up the system and leaving a copy of the programming onsite on a floppy disk in case the system goes down. The program also lets you Batch program so you can do your programming at home and then download it when you get on site. It is also useful because you can check out the programming for a customer if they call in with troubles and you are off site.
I have about 60 kx-td 816 uploads on my laptop.

Panasonic text-based software that I believe is for dealers only. I happened to aquire a copy from a friend who got it from a dealer and I could potentially email it to you, but as skip555 points out, you can program the system right through the phone. It's a bear but you can do it.

Also, as Sam92Legacy, mentioned the KXTD Programmator is a GREAT Windows-based program that is definitely worth a look!

RoundAbout

I am having a problem getting connected to my Panasonic KXTD-816. I have the DB25 - DB9 cable from Radio Shack.
I configured my COM port #1 to 9600 velocity, 8 word bits, 1 stop bit and parity is MARK. but I cannot connect. I get a response no PBX answer. Please help.

The "LN Code" should also be: CR+LF
At least it is on mine.
I'd also try COM2 and try moving the cable to the other physical COM Port too.

oh! Do you have the NULL MODEM adapter installed on that cable (or is it a NULL MODEM cable)? Without NULL MODEM, all bets are off. I created my own cable from Radio Shack parts and a piece of CAT5 from teh spec in the manual...

RoundAbout

Thank you for thr LN Code. I already had it at CR+LF and I have a null modem adapter. For some reasit still won't connect. Advice anyone or does any know how to setup a new extension and mailbox through using the phone. I would greatly appreciate anyone's help. Thank You.

Sam92Legacy:

I am the programmer/Administrator of our PBX 1232 & TVS 120 VPS and have been using Voicemail Master since we installed the system. Recently the people who installed our system came to help me reprogram the VPS and he was having a hard time connecting to the VPS through his com port using Hyperterminal. He came to find out that I have been using Voicemail Master to program the VPS and told me not to use the program because "he said" the program is riddled with viruses and it will reset your com port. Have you heard of such thing?

Yep stay away from any thing but panasonics software
and hyperterminal !!

here are the pins to make a cable for yourself a bit of cat5 cable 2 connectors and bobs your uncle ...

25 pin connector 9 pin connector

pin 1 unused pin 1unused
pin 2 goes to pin 2
pin 3 goes to pin 3
pin 4 goes to pin 8
pin 5 goes to pin 7
pin 6 goes to pin 4
pin 7 goes to pin 5
pin 20 goes to pin 6
also all software and manuals for all panasonic systems can be downloaded free from the panasonic site so mail me and i send the link

you must be a dealer to download the kx-td software
in the USA!!

yep but its free on the uk site i also dont see anyone talking about the panasonic windows based software in the usa its much better then programator ...i cant understand how companys can carge 70 bucks for a manual thats free to download

i dont know if the modarators of this site allow links to be posted maby they could let me know ....

hey many trees give there life for paper manuals
I use the windows based program all the time but it is
only available for dealers !~!

poor old trees (thank god for pdf)
anyway i got access from panasonic once i completed panasonic training in the uk im not a dealer.

are you considered a dealed once certified!in the states
here in ireland most installers dont have a cert (it not required or asked for nor do they have insurnce (a time bomb waiting to go off i think)

If only that program were to show up on a convenient FTP server for about 20 minutes, wink wink, nod nod... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back