Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using combo box look ups to update table

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjpreston

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
US
I have form that is being used as a subform. On the subform there is a combo box that looks up the Job title for that work order. I have 2 other fields that use in the control source =[JobTitl].[Column](4) and =[JobTitl].[Column](5) respectively. I need to be able to store the values looked up by the expressions in the under lying table as I can use them in other reports for calculating totals. How can this be done or is there a way to do totals on reports with expressions?

The best bet is to do your calculated fields in the query that is the source of the report. Then the report can simplye do a Sum on that field at any grouping level.
--Jim

Unfortunately the value I need is not in the query. It only shows up on the form when a job title is selected, I can't figure out how to get that value stored in the table in order to use it in the query.

Typically the value you need is in a table so you can add the table to the query so the value can be displayed. That's how relational databasesa are supposed to work. You generally don't store this type of value in multiple tables.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

The problem was solved by useing the after update event of the text box to populate the 2 fields. Thanks for your help Duane, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back