Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Cognos Script to format Impromptu Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirajc

Programmer
Jan 7, 2006
US
Hi,

I am new to Cognos Script.I have a requirement to have the Impromptu report formatted in a specific way which are not possible in Impromptu. Can Cognos Script help me with that? Can I have a sample code please?

Thanks,
Niraj

If the re-formatting can be performed in Excel, one can create a CognosScript to save the Impromptu report in Excel format (Impromptu v7) and then re-open and re-format it using Excel before re-saving.
The task is made easier by recording a macro in Excel of the reformatting required against a sample report, and then transposing the commands into CognosScript.
If the above sounds suitable, a short section of script can be posted to start you off.

lex

soi la, soi carré

Hi drlex,

Thanks for replying. However, Excel cannot installed on this server. Is it possible to format the Cognos report itself using Cognos script?

Thanks,
Niraj

Niraj,
I'm sorry, but I don't know. Looking through the help file doesn't bode well, as there appear to be no references to objects one would need, such as columns or groups within a report. If unscripted formatting within Impromptu will not suffice, you'll probably have to rely on another application to reformat the output (csv, txt, XML).
lex

soi la, soi carré

hi,

what must be formatted in the report? Some format issues can be solved in a template (*.imt), like formatting number, fonts, logo's etc. Open this template with your macro and execute the query.

hope this helps,

christenhusz

Hi christen

Thanks for replying. Yes, apart from this kind of formatting, we also want to set tab names for the excel in which this report will be exported to, dynamically take the header date to the rightmost cell of the report etc.

Thanks,
Niraj

Sounds like you'll either have to badger Cognos to improve their Excel rendering engine in Impromptu 7.4 or pay for an excel licence on the cognos server and use CS/VB to re-format after export.

soi la, soi carré

i have to agree with drlex.

you need excel engine to format the impromprtu report in excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back