Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using cl_extendvg with vpaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsn1

Technical User
Oct 27, 2002
AU
Hi, I could do with some help to this question

using hacmp, I want to extend a shared volume group. The disk I want to add to the volume group is on an ESS and under DPO appears on the system as vpathn

There is a command to add a vpath to a volume group extendvg4vp which I would normally use. There is no cl_extendvg4vp command.

Will using the cl_extendvg command successfully add the vpath to the shared volume group or do I have to use a non SPOC method

Dave

Hello Dave

It's been a while since I last looked into this one, but I think you will need to do it manually.

It's Dead easy to do manually, if you want I can post the procedure I use. It's only a few steps if your adding to an already existing VG like you are.

Personally, I prefer to do it myself, you know what it's doing then :)

Thanks

Steven

I thought that that would be the case and that It'll be a manual task

What do you do?

I was going to extend the vg on primary node
On secondary, varyoff/export the volume group delete the disks on the remote side, recreate them and import the volumegroup

Thanks

Dave

Should be simpler than that if you are not talking about concurrent VGs.

On the service node:
1) Acquire the hdisks and convert to vpaths.
2) Add vpaths to VG using extendvg4vp.
3) Create any required LVs/filesystems.
4) Break scsi locks with 'varyonvg -b -u VGNAME'

On failover node(s):
1) Acquire the hdisks and convert to vpaths (compare PVIDs to service node to ensure that you have everything).
2) Update ODM VG data with 'importvg -L VGNAME VPATH#' where VPATH# is one of the pre-existing VPATHs.
3) You may have to convert the VG with hd2vp for the new vpaths.

On service node:
1) Re-establish scsi locks with 'varyonvg VGNAME'.
2) Update resource group with new LVs/filesystems, synchronise & verify.

Note, even if this was doable under CSPOC I'd still extend the VGs the manual way, when you start doing HA then paranoia becomes a co-requisite for every action. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back