Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Citrix metaframe with odbc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker250

MIS
Apr 3, 2001
NL
Hello anyone,

I have a question about how to use odbc in a citrix metafram environment.

We use citrix metaframe 1.8 (servicepack 1) and lotus notes 5.3. We want to connect to a lotus notes database through an odbc driver. But when users try to connect the citrix session freezes and the session hangs.

Thanks for any reaction.
Eric

Hi

Not sure about Lotus Notes, but, I know I have had an issue with running Cognos BI products on Citrix Metaframe. This also involves an ODBC connection as we are using a Progress Database. I have found the knowledge base for Cognos to be good, so you might check the Lotus Notes one to see if there is a compatibility issue with Citrix.

There are guidance notes on installing Lotus Notes on MetaFrame on Citrix's site.

There is also an article on Microsoft's site on installing ODBC on Terminal Server.

I have installed ODBC using Microsoft's guidelines a few times, and not come across any issues.

Good Luck!

Maybe I gave some wrong information:
It isn't a Notes ODBC driver but an Access ODBC driver (JET driver) which causes the problem.
I appreciate both reactions. We have printed the MS articles (2) about ODBC drivers and followed the steps described. Unfortunalety the problem remains. Then we tried to upgrade the ODBC drivers to release 2.50. Then screen doesn't frees anymore but gives an error message. I am at home so I don't remember the exact error.

I have just got ODBC working with MS Access to Oracle. The only issue I encountered (which took ages to discover) was the permissions on the tnsnames.ora file - this is a text file that specifies the connect string info. Once I let Everyone read this file all worked fine.

hth ... Peter

For permissions-related errors over Terminal Server/MetaFrame, I have found that Filemon from will save a lot of time in tracking these down.

***Don't run Filemon on a busy server, as it tracks access to each and every file***

Hope this helps

Thank you for your tips. The solution is indeed upgrading to release 2.5 from MDAC drivers. But before you install the upgrade you have to stop the terminal server licensing service. After the upgrade everything works fine.

We took a very long time to test it because we couldn't use our production server and had to get a test server.

Greetings.

Hi there,

Pay attention to IE (which could be installed on TSE)
MDAC 2.5 requires IE 5.01 and MDAC 2.6 requires IE 5.5x.

That's all,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back