Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Cisco 2500 as router w/cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulty

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
US
I've done searching around the net, and haven't seen much info on this. I have cable modem access to the internet, and am looking to buy a Cisco 2500 series router. One issue is I'm not certain a 2500 series router can be used with a cable modem, and two I'm not sure what configuration I would need, since I have an IP dynamically allocated to me by the ISP. Any tips or pointers to reference material would be greatly appreciated.

First off you will need to get a router with at least 2 router interfaces. One will need to be used for outside access and the other will need to be used for inside access. Also, you will need to setup nat from the outside to the inside. You might want to look for a 2514 series router on ebay with an IOS 12.0 or better. This router has both 2 aui ethernet transceivers and 2 serial interfaces.

the router should support dynamic ip address allocation.

However, after all the pain and frustration of finding the necessary parts you will still be better off just getting a 50 dollar linksys cable modem router.

But if you want to do it can be done with the 2514 just more difficult and probably more expensive.

Thanks for the reply, I've heard the 2514 was the way to go before. I realize it isn't incredibly practcal, but it's for education purposes mostly. I have a basic understanding of the IOS, can you point me to any refernces that would help with configuration in this specific instance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back