Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using CAT 6 for phone wire 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanwan

ISP
Dec 2, 2002
US
Has anyone experienced phone issues when using CAT 6 cable for phone wire? Does this cause a problem? I'm having trouble researching this issue. Know of any helpful links?

Regarding AC noise/induction:
I have had induction issues several years ago with certain types of Nortel analog phones used in a cabled office where all drops were cat5e fully terminated on 8 pin 568B jacks and run back to patch panel for cross-connection to the PBX. The problem was not the cable quality or installation, but because the phone had a 4 pin connector and used a 4 pin line cord some AC hum was induced into the second pair and for somehow was passed into the audio path. Once the line cord was switched to a single pair cord the problem vanished. (The cables were tested and certified for data usage.)Check for unused pairs and make sure they don't enter the phone itself. Some older digital or hybrid analog/digital phone systems had similar issues of not liking open pairs attached and not grounded.

Gerald

BTW, Quad wire sucks and whoever allows this to be sold in this day and age should be strung up. It's time has long past, please let it die! Someone else will come along after you and have to replace it if you don't!

Gerald

You just can't snag that brown pair for the credit card machine when it's all Cat5 on patch panels.

good point but I dont terminate the cat5 voice cable to a cat5 patch panel I usually terminate to cat3 inserts in a blank panel or to a 66 block also I split the 4 pair into two two pair cat 3 jacks on the customer side.

so there really isnt a need to snag the brown pair for a extra device as there is one extra jack at each location already

I have had a few instances where that cable was needed for data and it simply a matter of replacing tha jack an cusomer side with cat5 and re-routing the cable on the equipment end to the data patch panel

works for me and the customers appreciate having the spare cat 3 jacks for voice and aux equipment.

I've never had any problems using Cat 5 for voice. Have not even considered Cat 6. I prefer to use Cat 3 for voice cause it is usually a little cheaper and just to ID it as voice as opposed to data. But I have run plenty of Cat 5 for voice just because it was readily available.

Richard

Hi, When I re-wired my house I used cat 5. It was a great choice. I decided later that I wanted a Merlin Legend phone system. So if i did not use Cat 5 i would have to re-wire. I have done some homes where you put in standard 2 pair. A week later they get a third line. I always like to be safe. Run cat 5. You never know what will come tomorow.

Jake

Happy new year all.....

Jake,

I've ran merlin legend phone systems of 4 pair CMX station wire. Its category 5 rating has nothing to do with it, you just need 4 pair station wire, which of course cat3 4 pair certainly is.

Cat3 for voice.

But If i ran normal 2 pair phone wire? It could not be done.

2-pair wire is no longer "normal". The bare minimum that you _should_ be able to purchase at the wholesaler is Cat-3 FOUR pair. That will support Merlin ATL sets, and any type of 1, 2, or 3 pair electronic key system telephones, and of course up to 4 dial tones if not using a key system. Anyone still selling 2 or 3 pair I/W should have their heads examined.

But If i ran normal 2 pair phone wire

I dont think there are many that would call 2 pair (also known as quad) phone wire normal.

rhe standard has been 3 twisted and now 4 twisted pair cat3 for at least 15 years .

any 2 pair install is substandard.

Quad is NOT 2 pair cable. Quad is 4 wires only, not 2 individually twisted pairs that then twist around each other.

Gerald

gerald

quad cetanly is two pair cable pair one red green pair two black yellow,

you are correct though it is not however 2pair twisted cable.

i have seen plenty of quad wire run and while i'm sure it exists i have never seen 2 p[air twisted cable and I would imagine it to be a special order item and hard to get

after i made the post i recalled that I did run into once it was wht blue /wht orange and I skinned the jacket back looking for the wht green and it wasnt there

but as I mentioned I doubt any distributor stocks it and it would be a special order item.

Yes, they have 2 pair stranded Cat 5e and 2 pair shielded Cat 5e. Also 2 pair Cat 3 PVC and Plenum.

jeff moss

Yes I have seen 2 pair CAT5 cable used by Rauland Borg for thier Nurse Call system. The Responder Nurse call system has a 2 pair CAT5 cable that home runs to the main equipment cabinet from the patient rooms.

I WILL FISH FOR FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back