Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Bold Button on "Bold" Helvetica Font

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentucky

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
For a catalog, I used B Helvetica Bold Font (8 Pt.) on the part numbers and description. I used the bold button to bold the part number. On the screen it looks fine, when printing from pdf it's hard to see on print out. When I send to printer's will it show up or should I change the font? Someone once told me not to use those buttons, but I wasn't sure why. Now I am worried and my deadline is in 2 days. Thanks for any help.

Those buttons do have unpredictable results sometimes. I'd recommend sending a sample to the prepress people at the printers and see if they can go with it. If not, you might have to use a different font which is thicker and looks similar - maybe something like Arial Black or Frutiger UltraBlack.

I work in prepress and I don't reccommend using those features they do cause problems. Why it does not look right probally in your PDF is that you probally don't have a printer font for Helvetica Bold - -you just have one for Helvetica.

If a client does stylise their fonts - -we pretty much get around by throwing in a printer font and screen fornt for the font tey are trying to stylize. But I would avoid using that pallette if your going to send these files to a printer.

info@prepress-online.com

Do not use Quark attributes for fonts. Go into the font palete and replace all your Helvetica (bold) for a real Helvetica Bold font. Then you should be fine.

If you haven't used it before, you can use the Utilities> Usage> Fonts window to quickly replace all instances of a particular font. So you can select B Helvetica Bold <Bold> from the list and replaced it with whatever you want. (It also sounds like you're trying to make the bold font bolder by using the style palette -- that won't work.)

My catalog was printed and no the Helvetica Bold Font (with extra bold)did not print. Everything is in Helvetica Bold Font (no extra bold). It looks good, but I learned a lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back