Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Autologon 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TANKERx

MIS
Jul 19, 1999
GB
After installing the Autologon functionality on a WindowsNT Workstation, all I see is a prompt saying that the username or password is incorrect yet I am VERY sure that the correct username and password have been entered.<br>
<br>
Any tips anybody?

Thats a possibility too. Since the logon is case-sensitive you must type the password the way it was originally set up.

sorry to interrupt and all,, what's this logon thingy???<br>
<br>
Sounds pretty cool, could do with it for work (stop the lusers messing up the system.)

When Windows NT starts it pops up a box prompting you to enter a username and password. Now the username will be the same for whoever logged in last, but you will need to enter a password. If the password is incorrect Windows NT will tell you. After too many times of that it will lock up.<br>
Windows 95 and Windows 98 both pop up boxes when connecting to a network, but they have NO security features, so if you are using a machine at work that has Windows 95 or Windows 98 you cannot stop them from logging in, even if they don't know the password they can bypass it. You cannot do that with Windows NT, so if you want security, use Windows NT.

aaarrrggghhh, right... sorry, thought it was something else... hehe... never mind... using NT?? check the SAM files... dunno what it may contain... i got information of this from a work collegue. jsauce knows how to view them.

I have a feeling I encountered this a couple of years ago, so the mists of time may have eroded my memory.<br>
<br>
The registry setting where you store the autologon (I forget the hive key info) can be checked directly, but you need to ensure that the clear user name is set as it could be that you are appending the user name to the previous one.<br>
<br>
I may of course be talking utter rubbish.<br>
<br>
Zel.

Use Tweak from microsoft. there is a tab for autologon. Make it easier to set the open door policy to NT.

Windows NT allows you to automate the logon process by storing your password and other pertinent information in the Registry database. <br>
<br>
CAUTIONARY NOTE: This feature allows other users to start your computer and use the account you establish to automatically logon. Also, timing conflicts can occur. For example: If you have several network transports loaded, enabling automatic logon may make Windows NT attempt to connect to network resources before the network transports are completely loaded. <br>
<br>
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk. <br>
<br>
Start REGEDT32.EXE and locate the following Registry subkey:<br>
<br>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\<br>
CurrentVersion\Winlogon<br>
<br>
Use the Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) to add your logon information, as follows: <br>
<br>
DefaultDomainName<br>
DefaultUserName<br>
<br>
DefaultPassword <br>
<br>
Dbl click on it and incert the Value Data the same as<br>
your domain name, account name, and password, using the values you would normally type when logging on. <br>
<br>
NOTE: The DefaultPassword value may not exist. If it doesn't, from the Edit menu, choose Add Value. In the Value Name field, type: "DefaultPassword" (without the quotation marks). Select REG_SZ for the Data Type. In the String field, type your password. Save your changes. <br>
<br>
Also, if no DefaultPassword string is specified, Windows NT automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogon key from 1 (true) to 0 (false), thus disabling the AutoAdminLogon feature. <br>
<br>
<br>
From the Edit menu, choose Add Value. Enter AutoAdminLogon in the Value Name field. Select REG_SZ for the Data Type. Enter 1 in the String field. Save your changes. <br>
<br>
Exit REGEDT32. <br>
<br>
Exit Windows NT and turn off your computer. <br>
<br>
<br>
Restart your computer and Windows NT. You should be able to logon automatically. <br>
<br>
<br>
NOTE: To bypass the AutoAdminLogon process, and to logon on as a different user, hold down the SHIFT key after a logoff or after a Windows NT restart.<br>
<br>
BB

seemed a very interesting thing ....<br>
so tried it myself on the NT.....<br>
but it did'nt work !<br>
I've followed all the steps properly but it <br>
just doesn't work.<br>
I've NT version 4. and win 95 on my computer...<br>
What could be the reason ?

I have encountered this before. in my case it was caused by the last logon not being desplayed by NT. \hkeylocalmachine\software\microsoft/windows nt/currentversion/winlogon/dontdisplaylastusername set it to 0 if it is 1.

TweakUI is all very well and good, but you need to know the changes that are being made to your system.
I would suggest using sysdiff or such to see what the various aspects of Tweak UI do to the registry.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back