Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using ASA to get into a Definity/Intuity LX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallas1

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
Hello All,
We recently installed a Definity/Intuity LX at one of our locations and we can't seem to get into it using ASA, over our network via IP.
We currently have to go in via a dial up and using the AVAYA /Internet explorer method, which wreaks havoc with any network based program we are running at the time.
I was told that you can't do it with the LX voicemail system, but I find that hard to believe. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

I believe you are correct. You can not use ASA with a LX. Some people say that port 23 has to be opened by Avaya, but I haven't seen it done. You will have to use the web interface. Maybe because it is a Linux box.

In the future everything will work...

We ran into this same problem last night trying to setup a customer. One of the tech's I was working with had indicated that ASA wouldn't work with the LX verison of the Audix and that you had to use the web interface (open IE and type the ip address of the box) or dial up to use it.

I can say unequivocally that you have to use the web interface for LX administration. The web interface is way better than the command line... ;o)

ASA will connect to the LX. However, there are a few caveats about connecting via port 23 on the LX. The only login that can connect via the telnet port to the command line is vm. Therefore, vm is the only login that can only be used with ASA/Provision. The login sa is reserved only for the web interface. This is only helpful if you need to add subscribers to the LX. For any other type of administration you will have to use the web interface. Also, a brand new out of the box LX does come with port 23 disabled courtesy of default security feature of the operating system. Avaya can enable the port fairly easy.

One other thing to mention if dial up is dropping all network programs, the dial up connection probably is replacing the PC’s default route. You can change this by going to by going to the connection’s properties then click on the Networking tab. Look for the TCP/IP protocol highlight it, click Properties button, then click on the advanced button.. There should be a field that says “Use default gateway on remote network” ensure that is not checked or else it will replace your default route in your PC routing table. Click ok to all of your open property sheets and try to reconnect. It should not drop any of your network programs.

Just my two cents.

-TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back