Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using and Combining(?) Access Workgroups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoggbottom59

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
GB
Hello,

I have two databases each using a different Workgroup.
I need to allow users to use both databases on the same computer.

Has anyone any idea how I can either combine or join both databases to the same workgroup.

I have admin access to the first db and presently users are not exposed to Workgroups (uses default Windows Sys Workgroup). I can get admin rights for my new db.

Thanks,
Leon.

I'm confused, and I think it's because you refer to the "default Windows Sys Workgroup". Usually, that refers to the workgroup file built when Access was installed, and in which the security features are disabled. If you want both databases to be available using that workgroup, then you essentially don't want security at all, and you need to remove any security you've implemented, or at least make sure the Users group in that workgroup has full permissions on everything.

But I'm wondering if your "default workgroup" has been modified to try to make it secure. If so, forget it--it can't be done. Only a custom-made workgroup file with a unique Workgroup ID can be made secure.

So explain more, please. Do you just need to make one of the databases available using the workgroup that's currently used with the other database? (It would be easier if you'd give the databases and workgroups names for reference, instead of referring to them by descriptions.) Is this database secured with permissions? (I would think it would have to be, or it should already be available.)

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Ok, there are two databases:
the Eng/Ops db which was the first and a newer called Blackbox.

The Eng/Ops was created to use no security with the initially installed Workgroup as you've pointed out.

The Blackbox db we now need to use has a new Workgroup with it's own security settings.

My problem is that I need to allow users to access both dbs without switching Workgroups.

Regards,
Leon.

But you see, right now the Eng/Ops users don't ever log on and identify themselves. TO give them access to Blackbox, they'll either have to log on, or Blackbox will have to permit unknown users to get in and do stuff, which blows your security.

The best solution is probably to give the Eng/Ops users a desktop shortcut that opens Blackbox, but uses the /wrkgrp command-line switch to make them use the Blackbox workgroup. You will create user accounts for them in the Blackbox workgroup, just as for the current Blackbox users.

The "joining a workgroup" thing isn't related to a particular database, exactly. Joining a workgroup (using the Workgroup Administrator) just sets the default workgroup to be used when opening a database without the /wrkgrp switch. When the /wrkgrp switch is used, the current default workgroup is irrelevant, for that database being opened. Once it's opened, though, any other databases opened directly will still use the default workgroup. In other words, they can have both Blackbox and Eng/Ops open at the same time, with each using its own workgroup file.

I'm not sure I've explained this very well, but I have to get to work.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Thanks that's a lot of help.

I'm new to Workgroups but I'm sure I can figure it out from what you've said.

Cheers,
Leon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back