Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using an array as an input buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannybrowne

IS-IT--Management
Dec 21, 2006
GB
Hi all,

I am new to VHDL and am trying to implement a buffer which takes std_logic inputs and puts them into a std_logic_array (my buffer) before output. I don't know how to put a series of bit values into an array and make them shift along to output.

I need to keep these values in array as I will need to read the contents of the array at different stages.

I would be very greatful of any help as im worried this might just ruin christmass for me!

Cheers danny

Are you trying to convert to a different data type as well? or will your array still be std_logic?

if it's still std_logic, use std_logic_vector. Vectors can be indexed just like an array but are more akin to data buses.

If you're going to change the data type to something other that std_logic, you'll have to convert the input data type befor assigning it to an array element.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back