Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Access over a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredk

Technical User
Jul 26, 2001
US
I have a question about the best way to use a front end/back end with access.

My back-end is on a shared drive that is accessed by more than one location - Would it more appropriate to place the front end's on the users computer or in the folder with the back end (on the shared drive) I know that I lose the ability to update front ends (at least without a work around) but was wondering about the speed.

Also, can I use only one mdb for the front end and have multiple users using it at once or should I make several copies of the front end in the shared drive - one for each user?

Thanks much for the input!!!

Fred

I have the back end on the shared directory and the front end on the users pcs. I have put a copy of the front end on each users pc and it works fine.

Thanks for providing feedback - I was just wondering how it compares to leaving the front-ends on the shared drive - I was wondering if it was faster when they front end is on the users pc.

Do you have your forms directly linked to the database?

Thanks!!!

Fred

The only things I have in the backend are the tables. All else is in the front-end on EACH user's PC. Simply link the front-end to the tables on the back-end.

If users shared the same front-end, it won't know which user is the current user. (in my case, each user logs in and the ID gets stored in a global variable; that info is lost if two users are using the same front-end mdb.

I'm not sure about MDEs, but I would suspect you'd have similar problems.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info - I actually have always used the front end on the shared drive also - I just have a copy for each user.

I was just wondering which is more efficient.

Also, I use the novell login for the user name so I think one form would work if I used only one front end database. But I am thinking therer might be other problems.

The only problem I have with loading the front end on the users computer is updating changes to the front end. Half my users are in another location.

Thanks!!

Fred

I here ya. We all go through that. There might be posts about automating the FE implementation. The major (but not only) problem with users sharing (or even NOT sharing) an FE on the LAN is speed.

If a user is opening up a form or report on a LAN mdb, you can imagine how much slower it's going to be because it's always accessing the LAN rather than C:.

Cheers

Yes, speed is definately the issue.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Fred

I agree, speed is an issue. It will take a little longer to paint your screen over the network than if they're local. Microsoft also recommends putting the FE on the user's machine. Also, the chances of your FE becoming corrupted is greater when it resides on a server than when it resides locally. If it resides locally and becomes corrupted only 1 user is effected rather than everyone.

FYI Front Ends should always be put on the local pc, seperate front ends on a shared drive is better than sharing one front end, but performance will dramatically increase if the front end is placed somewhere on the local drive. There are a million different ways of deploying updates to all the local drives. I've done it if you want some recommendations.

Check out Jeremy Wallace's method, used by many (including me) -- it's by far the simplest to set up and maintain:

Basically you run a batch file that checks to see if you have the newest version (if exist db_version1.15.txt), then copies a front-end from the network drive if not.

I'd like to point out that the *ONLY* downside to using multiple front-ends is the time it takes to set them up. Everything else is a bonus/positive.

fredk,
I run mine over a network (the server is located off site) front end on shares drive and have not had any problems with speed. I have had front end on other databases, and it has taken time to set each use up when changes are made. :)

Thanks for all of the input!!!!! - I think I will move the front ends to users PC's - I hope I am not over my head in using the batch file to update a users front end.

Thanks!!

Fred

Check out Jeremy Wallace's method, used by many (including me) -- it's by far the simplest to set up and maintain:

Yes, I also use this method and it works very well. If you have questions about the batch file, let us know and we can try to help you along.

That's great. I'm glad it comes in so handy, guys!

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Professional Development for Clients Large and Small

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Can I use a Data Access Page on the Net linked to a DataBase on the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back