Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Access 2000 projects in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

batteam

Programmer
Sep 12, 2003
US
My company has a few Access 2000 projects using SQL 2005 as a backend for data storage and stored procedures. Now we're switching over to Access 2007 (next year) and I'm hearing things like forms, etc. in projects cannot be changed or revised in 2007, but instead the changes have to be made in Access 2000 first, then opened and used with 2007.

The reason I'm inquiring is that our dept. has one really big Access 2000 project (with SQL 2005 as backend) that uses many forms, many reports, over a hundred stored procedures and has over 10,000 lines of VB code behind the main form (of the project). On top of all this, we make revisions to the project on a weekly basis, some major. I don't suppose we can keep this thing as a project. Can we or should we plan on re-writing it in 2007? Thanks for any advice, tips, etc. you can offer.

I use Access 2007 for all of my developing and have a lot of clients using Access 2000, XP, and 2003. I have never had problems. The database format should be 2000. You can edit ADP file databases in the Acces 2000 format. If you are making ADE file before deploying, you'll need an Access 2000 client to make the ADE. You can't make ADE files for Access 2000 in Access 2007. So I develop in 2007 and I open 2000 to make the ADE file.

Stick with Access Projects. That is the most efficient means of storing Access data.

Ray D'Andrade
Access Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back