Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a Windows 2000 DNS on Mac OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bontebok

Programmer
Nov 18, 2002
US
Hi Everyone,

We have a couple of Macs here in a completely Windows environment. Each of the Macs run Dave for file and printer access. We have DNS running on two Windows 2000 boxes which are authoritative for our local domain (aqua.local).

All of the Mac's were configured using DHCP and have the correct addresses for both of the DNS servers (resolv.conf looks perfect). Running nslookup and dig confirm that address resolution is working. For example, if I run: "dig fishnet" or "nslookup fishnet", the address is returned and is correct.

However, if I try to use any application that tries to resolve the hostname, it fails. I have tried the fully qualified domain name for any host in aqua.local with no success. I cannot seem to get any application on the Mac to correctly resolve a hostname in our local domain.

Internet addresses all resolve fine, I can bring up any webpage, etc. These hosts are also being resolved via our two DNS servers.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on and how I can fix this? Perhaps it is a resolution order problem? Or a problem relating to Dave?

Much appreciated,

Bontebok

Just a guess, check out directory access in your utilities folder. I have turned off the BSD flat files so as to ignore resolv.conf.
Secondly, what do you mean when you say "However, if I try to use any application that tries to resolve the hostname, it fails.", as compared to "I can bring up any webpage, etc. These hosts are also being resolved via our two DNS servers."

Are you saying the Mac cannot resolve its own DNS hostname?

Ok, I will look at that setting. Let me give a bit more detail, I look at what I wrote now and I can see the confusion.

Our two DNS servers are authoritative for our local domain "aqua.local". Those DNS servers are also set up using the root cache and forwarding, so they will also resolve internet addresses.

From the OS X shell, if I use nslookup or dig, I can resolve any address in our local domain and any internet address without a problem.

However, if I use any application other than dig or nslookup and specify a hostname on our local domain, the address resolution fails. But, if I specify an internet hostname, the resolution will succeed.

A real example would be using telnet from the shell to connect to port 80 on our intranet server.

If I nslookup or dig "fishnet" or "fishnet.aqua.local" from the shell, I get the correct IP, which happens to be 10.196.128.13.

If I telnet to 10.196.128.13 via port 80, I connect directly to fishnet's http server just fine, if I open up IE and point it directly to the IP it brings up our intranet site.

If I telnet to "fishnet" or "fishnet.aqua.local" or plug the hostname into the browser, the lookup fails. Telnet returns: "No address associated with nodename."

It is very bizare how I can resolve and connect perfectly to internet addresses but cannot seem to resolve any address in our local domain!

I was told by someone here that it was not possible to use a W2K DNS on a Mac which is BS. No one using a Mac would be able to resolve ANY hostnames from W2K based DNSes and the internet would thus be very broken.

I will check that setting and let you know, as I am no Mac expert :)

Thanks,

Bontebok

I am having the same problem resolving dns names. I contacted apple and the issue is with .local domains. They are working
on a fix and it should be out in 3-4 months.

Mark

The problem is caused by Rendezvous which reserves the .local tld. Patches are available from Apple, but we have not tested them yet and they may impact the use of Rendezvous.

Bontebok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back