Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using a win2k sreensaver in win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

hybridspyda

Technical User
May 23, 2005
GB
I was trying to make win98 look better by putting a 3d text screensaver from win2k on it... i copied the screensaver file and burned it to a disk, i then copied it to the correct directory, but everytime i tried to use the screensaver program it displayed a error saying "windows has performed an illegal operation" or something along those lines lol... is there ne other programs i would have to copy over or a way round this?

Screen savers designed for Win2K will not work in Win98 simply due to the fact that Win2K uses OpenGL for its screenservers, something that Win98 cannot do.

You'll have to find Win98 screenservers you like.

Pascal.

so there is no way i could get win98 to read win2k screensavers?? no way of installing a "OpenGL" thing that would read the file properly?

Not sure, but I don't think there is an OpenGL extension for the Win98 system itself. Games used to include it (and they still do) for their own use, but WinNT was the first MS OS to include it at the system level.

Anybody else know more ?

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back