Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a RECORDSET in a Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

ds2728

Programmer
Jul 18, 2001
US
Hello,

I am converting a standard access application that is setup with the data and application split. I have problems with the speed of the application due to the slower data link between buildings.

I have been successful in converting the data to MS sql server 2000, with all data access using direct sql calls to the sql server. I have setup all forms, listboxes, etc to use recordests, example: set me!list2.recordset = rst

This works great. My Question is: How do I set a report to use a recordset instead of accessing a local table, linked table, or query? I want to open a recordset then set the data source to use that recordset.

I currently use: Reports!RPT_name.RecordSource = me.openargs

where me.openargs is the query string I pass to the report.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

I am not aware that a report can be based on a recordset. I would use a pass-through query if performance was an issue. You might need to use a little code to change the SQL property of the pass-through.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Sadly, I have found that you cannot set the record source of a report directly to a recordset like you can with forms.

My solution has been to create a local table on the front-end, which I clear before the report is run. I open a recordset using a stored procedure and use it to populate the local table. I then run the report, which is bound to the local table.

You can set the RecordSource property of the report to any valid SQL statement you like, without opening a recordset.
This is exactly the same as using a stored query, which in turn returns a recordset.

It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your
neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

Thanks for the input, I was actually doing what Joeatwork suggested, which worked good. I ended up building a function that builds a pass through query using the querydef statement, which I add all information for qry including the sql server connection string. Then I actually pointed all my reports to the same query. It really works seamless.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

You shouldn't need to build a new pass-through query every time. I just change the SQL property of an existing P-T like:

CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qsptMyPT").SQL = "EXEC ..."

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

I pass the sql string to the function that's required for the desire report, then build the qry. Then when I open my report the data source is already set to use
the query: "rpt_qry"

here's my code:

Function BuildPassthruQry(strSql As String) As Boolean

Dim qfd As QueryDef
Dim db As Database
Set db = CurrentDb

DoCmd.DeleteObject acQuery, "rpt_qry"

Set qfd = db.CreateQueryDef("rpt_qry")
qfd.sql = strSql
qfd.Connect = "ODBC;DRIVER=SQLServer;SERVER=xxxx-TRUSTSQL;DATABASE=timedemo;UID=Username;PWD=Password"
qfd.Close

End Function

If you are saying there's an easier way, I guess I don't understand....

Why delete and the create? Try the following code. I have similar code but pass in the query name also so the code can be used to change the SQL of any querydef in my database.

Code:
Function BuildPassthruQry(strSql As String) As Boolean
    Dim qfd As QueryDef
    Dim db As Database
    Set db = CurrentDb
    [s]'DoCmd.DeleteObject acQuery, "rpt_qry"[/s]
    [s]'Set qfd = db.CreateQueryDef("rpt_qry")[/s]
    Set qfd = db.QueryDefs("rpt_qry")
    qfd.sql = strSql
    [s]'qfd.Connect = "ODBC;DRIVER=SQLServer;SERVER=xxxx-TRUSTSQL;DATABASE=timedemo;UID=Username;PWD=Password"[/s]
    'qfd.Close
    Set qfd = Nothing
    Set db = Nothing
End Function

Duane MS Access MVP

Thanks for the clarification.

I have another post concerning this same application running on access 2000 where it errors out.

Post is labeled: Connecting to SQL server backend

Any help on this would also be appreciated......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back