Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a query to search data instead of primary key

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambersd12

Technical User
May 25, 2011
US
Right now I have a a query that searches 4 tables based on the primary key. It returns any values associated with that primary key. The primary key is [Metal OS].

This is my query:
SELECT [HMBA B101, 25C].[Metal OS], [HMBA B101, 25C].*, [HMBA B102,25C].*, [HMBA B103, 25C].*, [HMBA B104, 25C].*
FROM (([HMBA B101, 25C] INNER JOIN [HMBA B102, 25C] ON [HMBA B101, 25C].[Metal OS]=[HMBA B102, 25C].[Metal OS]) INNER JOIN [HMBA B103, 25C] ON ([HMBA B101, 25C].[Metal OS]=[HMBA B103, 25C].[Metal OS]) AND
([HMBA B102, 25C].[Metal OS]=[HMBA B103, 25C].[Metal OS])) INNER JOIN [HMBA B104, 25C] ON ([HMBA B102, 25C].[Metal OS]=[HMBA B104,
25C].[Metal OS]) AND ([HMBA B103, 25C].[Metal OS]=[HMBA B104, 25C].[Metal OS]) AND ([HMBA B101, 25C].[Metal OS]=[HMBA B104, 25C].[Metal OS])
WHERE ((([HMBA B101, 25C].[Metal OS])=[Specify Metal(OS)]));

How would I create a query that searches a range of values? regardless of the primary key, meaning it will return any [Metal OS] with that value?

hi,
Code:
WHERE [HMBA B101, 25C].[Metal OS] IN (YOUR LIST OF VALUES);
where YOUR LIST OF VALUES looks like this...
[tt]
'value1','value2'
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

not sure what you want perhaps an union query
Code:
Select *
from(
Select *
from [HMBA B101, 25C] 
union
Select *
from [HMBA B102, 25C]
Union
Select *
from [HMBA B103, 25C]
Union
Select *
from [HMBA B104, 25C]
)uq
WHERE [uq].[Metal OS])=[Specify Metal OS]

So some of the values are actually text, instead of numbers, will that make it not work? Will that only search the one table, instead of all 4?

The "where" code doesn't work, or isn't returning anything.

The union query, while works, and might be cleaner than what I was using, doesn't do what I need. I don't want to search by [metal os]. I want to search by values that are listed in the columns of a table. So I want the query to return all the [Metal OS] that contain a field within a range of values. But the fields in my tables are not numbers they are text, does that make a difference, how would you distinguish between text and number?

can you please provide a sample of the table and of the values that you want returned

I'm not quite sure how u can attach a file to these threads. The step 3 things only says type or paste full url, and the files are saved to my desktop computer...

So the mediafire thing works, the other ones do not. There are the four tables in the excel document, from those tables I want to be able to search the "?=" columns. So for example I'm interested in any [Metal OS] that has a value between say 2 and 4, so it should return and metal at any "?=" between 2 and 4. Does that make sense?

Company security prevents me from downloading, but somethin like...
Code:
WHERE [uq].[Metal OS] Between 2 AND 4
  AND [?=] Between 2 AND 4
assuming that BOTH these columns are NUMERIC.

Skip,
[sub]

Yea, the columns aren't numeric, I have the error in so a number in the table looks like 3.62(4), so in access I have them as text. I have 6 columns of "[?=]" [?=1E-1], 5E-1, 1, 2, 5, 0. so would you just do an AND statement for all the columns?

So did you try TEXT rather than NUMBERS?

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back