Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a non-ATX PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

chylok

Technical User
Mar 28, 2004
GB
Is it possible to power an ATX motherboard without using an ATX PSU?. I can supply all the required voltages at the correct ratings, will the board power up, or is there any tricks required?

theoretically, if you supplied all the right voltages, then there shouldn't be any problem...

never tried this myself, and never intend to...

An ATX board is always powered with standby voltage, and then instructs the PSU to turn fully on by grounding a certain wire. Disconnecting the wire again turns the powersupply off (apart from the standby voltage). You'll need to be aware of that mechanism and either bypass it or replicate this fucntionality via someother method if you want the usual auto power off. Alternatively you can power off manually after the shutdown is complete, as was necessary in the old AT days.

It depends if you want to do this for testing purposes it might work to some degree, but for normal use it wont work. Reason is the chipset needs to talk to the PSU logic to control various aspects, which are to long to go in to here Also it may not provide the needed levels for the pull up logic on the chipset

I am looking at designing an IP rated computer using a Pentium M processor board (which requires an low power ATX supply), and I am looking for a fanless PSU solution. Which is why I was hoping to use a non-atx supply.

I would suggest you look at some websites where they build Mini-ITX computer Systems. They have some solutions where they use an 110-120 AC to DC 12volt adapter. Then they take the 12 volts DC and run that to an ATX Power Board. I have seen these in 60w - 120 Watt variations.

There are companies that build low powered servers based on Mini-ITX motherboards. There are also some companies that make P4 Mini-ITX Comptuers. Companies like Commell and even Tyan have produced Mini-ITX form factor motherboards. VIA has a new motherboard form factor that is called NANO-ITX. I think it uses a Mobile version of the C3 processor, but it is not readily available yet. By using a smaller mobile processor and selling it attached to the motherboard, they can reduce the required space on a motherboard. VIA Purchased Cirrus a while back and they have been developing their own motherboards and processors.

Might look at this website:

I have heard of Gamers buying and using Mobile AMD Athlon XPM 2500 processors and overclocking them. Technically you could use something like this and throttle it down. I think they use the same socket size as normal AMD AthlonXP processors.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back