Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a lsit box in a query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben92

Technical User
Jun 24, 2004
US
Hello everyone,

I am having a problem using a list box in a query. I am trying to get the list box to give me the option of slecting a particular file name based off input and output information. I can get the list box to provide the correct file names, but the file names aren't specific to the input and output info. In other words, when I run the query, I want it to use specific input and output data and only give the file names specific to I/O data in the list box instead of all possible file names for every I/O combination.

Can you give a sample of the query? If it is relating to a table, can you also give the table structure?

Here is a rough example:

Input/Ouput/file name
1,1,FileA
1,2,FileA
1,2,FileB
1,2,FileC
1,3,FileA
1,3,FileB
2,2,FileA
2,2,FileB
2,3,FileA
3,1,FileC

For a specific I/O I want it to return just the file names that pertain to it.

Example: I/O = 1,1
I want it to return just FileA in the list box. Or:
Example: I/O = 1,3
I want it to return just FileA and FileB in the list box.

Right now the list box is returning all the possible files as shown above.

set the recordsource for the listbox =

Code:
SELECT tblInOutFile.FileName
FROM tblInOutFile
WHERE (((tblInOutFile.Input)=[Forms]![frmInOutFile]![Input]) AND ((tblInOutFile.Output)=[Forms]![frmInOutFile]![Output]));

I made a form called frmInOutFile with two combo boxes(one called Input and the other called Output) and one listbox (FileName). In the afterupdate event of the combo boxes, I tell it to:

Code:
FileName.Requery

After the combo boxes are updated, the values in the Listbox will change.

I have another question:

Some of the Input/Outputs do not have file names already associated with them, so I will need to type them in. How would I go about doing this with a list box.

I do not believe there is a way you can type the filenames into the listbox. I would think that making an invisible textbox and command button on the form and then some code would them would be the best way.

I used the On-Double-Click event of the FileName listbox and put code that would unhide a textbox and a command button. The command button would have the following code behind it:
Code:
Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblInOutFile ( [Input], [Output], FileName ) "
    strSQL = strSQL & "SELECT tblInOutFile.Input, tblInOutFile.Output, [Forms]![frmInOutFile]![txtNewFileName] "
    strSQL = strSQL & "AS NewFileName "
    strSQL = strSQL & "FROM tblInOutFile "
    strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE (((tblInOutFile.Input)= " & [Forms]![frmInOutFile]![Input] & ") AND "
    strSQL = strSQL & "((tblInOutFile.Output)= " & [Forms]![frmInOutFile]![Output] & "));"

DoCmd.RunSQL (strSQL)

txtNewFileName.Visible = False
    lblNewFileName.Visible = False
    FileName.Requery
    FileName.SetFocus

When the FileName listbox gets the focus, I hide the command button (which you can't do when using it). You may need some error trapping to make sure you are not entering duplicate values for each input\output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back