Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using A Local Profile When Logging Into A Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorex

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2004
US
Hi all,

Is it possible to use a local profile when logging into a domain?

What I'd like to do is setup a local profile on a machine that everyone will use when they login to the domain from this machine. I don't want AD to automatically create a local profile for the user if it doesn't exist. As well as the Group Policy, I don't want it to be applied to the machine when a user logs in.

This is possible when logging into a Novell server but not in Windows server.

Please advise.

Thanks.
zorex

zorex,

I think what you are seeking might be in the difference between "per seat" and "per device" MS licensing schemes.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

You can of course create a single AD account and have each user simply use that account so that all users would utilize the same profile. That would be the esiest solution for what you are asking.

A local account can use resources on the network by providing proper credentials when it accesses the resources, but that is nto the same as logging into the domain.

Could you explain WHY you want to do this? Is this an issue of hard disk space, licensing, stubbornness on the part of users? What's the motivation.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you both for your quick response.

RVNGUY:

This is not a licensing issue. I want to do this for managing each workstation.

MARK:

I want to do this to simplify my management of each workstation. I don't want to have 10 profiles on each machine to manage if 10 users used that same machine.

I want them to login to AD so their file and system rights to the server applies to them. But I don't want any GP applied to their local machines.

I also have a machine that everyone uses and I just want to have one profile on that machine that everyone will use when they login to AD.

Thanks again.
zorex

I'd really like for you to explain exactly what "management" is necessary for 10 different profiles?

If this is an issue of you not understanding how to simplify your management with GPO, then I would highly recommend that you get a book or some trainging. You can force mandatory profiles from the network to prevent users from altering a profile you have created for them Likewise with Group Policy you can centrally configure settings and not have to mess with them on each machine or user ID because the system does it for you.

I think you are being very short sighted in this respect. Use the technology for all it is worth and make LESS work for yourself rather than MORE.

Regards,

Mark

What I do for the students on our domain is to setup a "Default User" profile so when they log in they have the same default printer installed and all their icons already at their disposal on their desktops. If I don't do this they have to add the correct printer and I would soon them not to have the rights to do that. I put all the shortcuts on the desktop for them so they don't have to look for them.

To do this I log in as an administrator, set up the printer and desktop the way I want, and relog in as an administrator with my own account name and upload the profile into a folder on the server. I then change the name of the profile to "Default User" and download onto every work station they use. Each classroom is different with a different printer and specific software.

You have to setup the workstations so you can view hidden files to see the Default User profile in Documents and Settings.

Every student ends up with the same profile and I can still use GPOs to allow certain things; i.e., redirected My Documents, disallow IE Properties, a program specific Background image, etc.

Maybe that is what you are trying to accomplish? I know with XP every user has to setup icons and printers otherwise.

Rob (ComputerShaman)

Me again...

Here is a link to the Microsoft website that has instructions on setting up a Default User account.

I used this method the first time I did it, and simplified it to my description in the previous post as it is much quicker. But you can print the article out and use it as a reference.

Important note: Once a user logs in, they have a profile setup and they won't get the Default User profile. So if you want to have previous users get the Default User profile, you will need to delete their old profile, unless there is a trick I have not figured out yet.

Good luck!

Rob

ComputerShaman, regardign setting up printers, you might want to have a look at my FAQ. faq329-5798

It sounds like you have a good system in place for what you need, however if you wanted to have the printers mapped automatically then the script I have posted in my FAQ would be ideal for you.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you all for your quick responses.

What I'd like to do is to prompt the user for a second login after they logged in to the domain.

Like I said, this is possible when logging in to a Netware server. I've been managing Netware and MS servers for 11 years. I have a CNE and MCSE certifications to answer the training part.

I have done all your suggestions in the past and they work fine. What I'd like to do now is to prompt the user for a second login. Usually, the second login is for the local machine. Is this possible when logging into a Windows domain?

Forget about the administration tasks. Is it possible for that second login to pop-up after logging into the Windows domain? If you have managed a Netware server before, you would know what I'm talking about.

Thanks again and have a merry christmas to all of you.

I guess I don't completely understand, since I have never seen what you describe on Novell. What would the 2nd login authenticate you to, a shared resource?

"Rule #1 - When stumped, check your Event Logs!

you cant do what you require in a domain environment
or well not using ms solutions

if you still have zen on this site then you could associate a dlu - although that wouldnt force a login box - it would force a local profile instead of a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back