Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using a laptop drive as external in another laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcf27

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2002
US
I am in need to retrieve some data from a dead Toshiba Satellite laptop. Is there an adaptor(s) of some sort I could use to connect the Satellite's hard drive as external drive into another laptop via USB?

Thanks in advance.

J

Yes, a 2.5" USB harddrive case can be found at pretty much any computer store for about $20.

-CL

Yes, they are called enclosures, and will turn the hard drive into a USB external drive, however, if its really dead, then i would not harbor hopes of getting the other laptop to detect it.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

One sure way to tell if the drive is gone, does the Toshiba BIOS see the HDD? If so all is not lost. See thread602-1357816

Tony

Is it well an truly dead or does the screen just not come on?

The problem with 2.5" drives is that they have non standard connectors. I've taken them out of my dead laptops. Every one is completely different. It is not like the 3.5" drives where one connector fits all.

People,

thank you so much for your advice. I removed the HHD and put in and external case. I was able to retrieve 99.99% of the data using another laptop. The HDD had a lot of errors. I ran chkdsk to recover some of the data.

My next questions is --

When I try to access the remaining .01% of the folders, I get an error saying "Access Denied" Is there a way around this?

Thanks!

J

Never mind.... I did a little bit of research and found a work around. Sorry for the trouble.

regards,

J

@xwb.

2.5 laptop drives are standard, they are either ATA, or SATA. ATA drives will sometimes have a adapter plugged into the standard 22 pins on the card. But it can be removed, by pulling from it.

SATA will have a smaller plug.

Laptop manufacturers will sometimes place plugs on the drives to make them fit the laptop configuration, but they are almost always removable, and reveal the standard pins or SATA plug.

The only exceptions I've found to this are the tiny hard drives that Sony uses on some of the smaller Vaos, and Apple uses on the newer IPODs.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back