Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a front end/back end with Terminal Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancelotnz

Programmer
Mar 6, 2002
NZ
Hello,

I have created a database in MS Access 2002, 3 users can access it via Terminal Server.

After I use that database splitter and create a front and back end it runs unbelievably slowly.

If anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated, my dbase knowledge is limited.

Lancelotnz

The way you explain it, it should work fine.
However as it does not I wonder if its not the whole set-up that is wrong.
Try this place the front-end and the backend on the server, connect the two. This should clear up most of the problems.

Also you could try upsizeing your backend to an SQL base and change your fron to an access adp-file. As access coms with a runtime SQL (MSDE) this should be poss for you. This last suggestion is a lot thougher to make but also the best way to optain your goal.

Let me know if I can help further

Hi

I'm having the same problem as "lancelotnz"...
Did you find a way to overcome this problem?
Thanx

-Martin

Did you follow hermanlasko's suggestion and place both the front end and back end on the server. I am interested in the solution and if there are any problems with it, since I intent to use terminal services at one of my clients.

Hi guys.

I am using Citrix Metaframe to do the same thing, and I find that the only problem is that the initial load of a form from the switchboard is very slow. Also I am suffering from database corruption regularly, but I am looking at other things for this.

Both front-end and back-end are on the same server, though each user has their own front-end.

I'd be interested if you have any luck with the performance speed and also if you have any thoughts on my corruption problem.

Thanks.

Howard.

Hi
On the subject of FE/BE and corruption as they are in-fact related...
The database was running fast when it was all one FE and BE together held on the W2K Domain Controller.
I split the database as the database was corrupting, and i have read that this can help, the database no longer corrupts but has become increasingly slower.
I have tried placing the FE on both Terminal Servers and the BE needs to stay on the Domain controller as there obviously cannot be 2 BEs (data) - so i am not sure how you would go about placing both ends on the "Server" in this environment. Also, when you say that each user has their own FE, i undersand this is normal for a Client-server environment, but with a Terminal Server this should not be necessary as everything "takes place" on the server therefore i am using one copy for each Terminal Server. So if anyone can clear up what they exactly mean - let me know... cheers

-Martin

So, if I understand you correctly, you have a FE on each terminal server and the backend on the domain controller. You said, it has become increasingly slower. How slow? How long to bring up an entry form? How long to insert data into a table? Also, how many records in some of the tables you are inserting records? Are both inserts and queries becoming slower or just the inserts? How many meg is the backend? Finally, how many concurrent users on the application? Thank you.

I have noticed that if I work on a frontend for a long time (lots of saveings, corrections, etc) this will become increasingly slower, to overcome this problem I create a new empty container and import all the elements of the slow database into this new container and ...... the speed of the front increases significantly.
"Sir Lancelot" does not tell us what helped him, but as he states that his access/database knowledge is limited, my guess is that he went for the single front/backend solution.

Perhaps my suggestion no. 1 or the "Sir lancelot" solution could (or both) could be the solution for you.

Let us know ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back