Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using a dll from another dll 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfunk

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
US
Hello,

I am developing a dll that will be used by other people.

One of the features I would like is to provide a backup of an Access .mdb file. When I copy the file to another directory I would like to zip the file as well. I know of some 3rd party dlls that will zip and unzip files. If I use one of these dlls do I have to distribute that dll along with mine? Does MS have a component that provides compression and uncompression? Is there a way to do compression programmatically?(without a million lines of code)

Sincerely,
Steve

Yes you would have to distribute that dll along with yours since you are calling it from yours.

It seems to be a little known fact, but W95 SP3 and later versions of Windows/NT have a built-in ability to create zip files through the use of CABINET.DLL

Here's a link to the documentation and SDK, which is sadly all designed for C/C++

Unfortunately, it does take quite a lot of code to get this working in VB.

Have you created a working piece of code that creates a zip file in VB?

This is way over my head!!!!

Has anyone been able to create zips in VB without 3rd party dlls?

Sincerely,
Steve

Um...yes..but it was a while ago, and it was ourely experimental...and, most importantly, I seem to recall that I used a 3rd party wrapper library because I had problems prototyping the function calls in VB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back