Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 9i Client and Forms 6i on the same client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalin

Programmer
Jul 24, 2001
NL
Hi all,

I'm trying to install both the Oracle 9i client and Forms 6i runtime on one client PC.

The install works like a charm, but I want both clients to use only one Oracle home. This to prevent any switching between homes during runtime.

Is this possible and if so how ???

Grtz,

Kalin

No, they use incompatible libraries.
I can't understand WHY you need to install them into common home. What switching do you mean?

Regards, Dima

Hi Sem,

because the installs aren't always in the same order I can't depend on one of the two being the default home, so if I have a application which depends on the Oracle 9i client and the forms install (with a 8i conectivity) is the default home, the application can't connect to the 9i database. Same goes other way around.

So I hope you can see my problem.

Grtz,

Kalin

I have 4 homes with different Oracle versions including 8i local database, Forms 5, 6, 6i and 9i, and separate 9.2 client. Pre-6i Forms versions allow only DEFAULT_HOME, but since 6i you may install it in any. From each of these homes I connect to more than 10 instances of different Oracle versions.
Most third-party applications allow specifying explicitly a home to use, and almost all of them may work with different versions. So I still can not understand your doubts.

Regards, Dima

How do you specify the home which a application (forms or other) should use during runtime ??

Grtz,

Kalin

I don't specify them at all. When Forms is started it uses libraries located in its own home. Each home has its own key in registry. I use TNS_ADMIN environment variable to share the same TNSNAMES.ORA file for all homes, that's all. Components work independently.

Regards, Dima

Hi,
The only time I have found it important to set a default home ( Using Oracle's Home Selector ) is when I am using Designer...Some of its functions may misbehave if the wrong home is set..
In general,having multiple homes ( assuming the products are installed in the correct order ) should cause no problems.

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back