Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 3 Pair wires to extend a home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee_G

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2021
GB
Hi All

can somebody check my thinking please. I know I should know this but have been locked in my house for months and just wanted to ask out loud before I do this!

I have moved into a new house and it is wired throughout with telephone sockets that are now all disconnected / redundant. They all end up in a big bundle in a crawl space in the loft.

Sky have now installed my router but they would only install in the downstairs front office which was nearest the road and I really want to hard wire my sky box and my son's gaming PC.

The previous owner assures me the cabling is 'good rated' cable (he used to work at O2)and should be capable of running internet.

So here is my plan.....

Replace the telelphone sockets with RJ45 plates
Connect two pairs to the plates in my sons room, living room and office
At the other end of the cable, crimp on an RJ45 jack
I have an 8 port TP link switch / hub which I will install in the loft
Plug a cable from my Sky Router into the plate in the office and the other end into port 1 of the switch
The room cables into the other ports on the switch
then I will just use bought RJ45 cables from the plates to the computers and TV,

I know I will only get 100MB (which is more than my broadband link so I am not bothered) but the bit I am really not sure about is 'crossing'

For the plates back to the switch do I just connect the pins straight with no cross over?

I attach a photo but essentially its Green/Green Stripe Orange/Orange Stripe and Blue/Blue Stripe and I am thinking I will just straigh connect 2 pairs through?

Any thoughts appreciated otherwise I will just go by trial and error and swearing method!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c3786aaa-eaf8-494d-8286-ea2c5448c939&file=wiring.jpg
It looks like Cat3 to me. Probably only rated to 10MB. For data you will need pins 1,2 and 3,6 that is if there is no POE involved. you would wire it straight through. Same on both ends. most jacks are labeled with 568A and 568B. pick one and wire both ends the same.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Vive Communications

If you want to use POE on a 3 pair cable you can use the white/blue pair by putting one wire in either pin 3 or 4 and the other in pin 7 or 8. That's because POE uses W/BL for V+ and W/BR for V-. Just low power though as a single wire's gauge is too small for higher power devices like APs.

Marv ccna

Would it be possible to use the existing cables to pull new CAT6 or 6A (along with a new CAT3 or 5 for voice if applicable) as opposed to mousing with cable that wasn't designed for high speed data? 🤔

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

What you have there is CW1308 telephone cable.
Twisted pair for telephones.
The main line would be on the blue pair (2 wires)
These are not the correct specification for carrying data, however you might be able to use the cable to pull through a strong builders twine to then pull through a data cable CAT5 or batter.

You can send data down barbed wire if the distance is short enough. The best way to know is to test it. You'll use the green and orange pairs (pins 1236) on the 8-pin jack. DO NOT CRIMP. Buy real jacks, then when you replace the cat-3 cable you can reuse the jacks.

LkEErie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back