Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 2k Server to route between two networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnymc

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
US
Hi,
I have a small network for my Radiology department. It consists of 5 PC's that use static addresses of 192.168.0.x The PC's are networked to send images back and forth. There are no servers on the network, it is a peer to peer.
The rest of my building has a win2k based domain and I have a cisco router with a connection to the internet and a T1 connection to a local hospital. We use a 172.16.60.x address scheme with DHCP on this network. I need to connect these two networks. I want to know if I can just set up a PC with 2K server and 2 NICs and set the default gateway to the router.
Would this allow me to send the images out of my building and to the hospital? I really do not have the budget for a layer 3 switch or router. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

>I have a small network for my Radiology department. It consists of 5 PC's that use static addresses of 192.168.0.x The PC's are networked to send images back and forth. There are no servers on the network, it is a peer to peer.

ok..

>The rest of my building has a win2k based domain and I have a cisco router with a connection to the internet and a T1 connection to a local hospital. We use a 172.16.60.x address scheme with DHCP on this network.

ok..

>I need to connect these two networks. I want to know if I can just set up a PC with 2K server and 2 NICs and set the default gateway to the router.

>Would this allow me to send the images out of my building and to the hospital? I really do not have the budget for a layer 3 switch or router. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Well you say you have 5 pc's peer/peer I'm assuming they are interconnected via a hub? Also there seems to be another system (domain) within your same building. I'm also assuming that this network has a hub.

So.. why not just use a cross-over cable hub-to-hub and just set your gateways, radiology computers, toward the cisco router? I'm also assuming that your cisco router has a dns entry in it.

I seriously doubt that a T1, 1.5 meg pipe, will push/pull images of large size.. I know that our local hospital in Wichita Kansas has a DS3 '45.0' meg pipe they use for imaging..

~Rick

you can connect the two with a computer (with 2 nics) with 2k or even nt (have seen it done). with 2k pro, use IP forwarding. with 2k serv, use Remote routing and access. You will need to define static routes in the computer to forward the IP through to the nic on the other network. I assume you are using ICS on your 192.168.0.x network. It will only provide internet access for this network only. If you move your DSL connection to a 2k server, Routing and Remote access gives you another option along with the routing and remote access to share the connection to both... Microsoft website has information on how to do this.

192.168.0.x----[nic DSL (2kserv w/RRAS) nic]---172.16.x.x
\to inet

Ok, I think that using a "cross-cable" or a connection hub-to-tub has the major dezadvantage of having one domain of collissions. If they are switches (I mean layer 2) then, the collision domains will be separatelly. But, what is happen with broadcasts? They will reach both networks. ANd, sudenly your computers from Radiology department will receive broadcasts from the other network and reverse.
So, the best way is to use a router. Can be a computer with an OS with an application that is making routing (eg: win2k with RRAS) or can be a hardware dedicated equipment(as doomhamur said). My advice is have always a backup solution too. Like having a hardware one, and a PC always ready to be the router in case that hardware one is failing.
As about your transfering images problem, I cannot say anything, since I don't know what is the traffic there, and what is the policy of sendinfg those files (eg: can be archived?)
Well, these are few guidlines. But, the real solution depends on many other factors, that are internally (business, processes, budget,...) Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

I have a W2K pc connected to the internet via cable modem. They require me to use dhcp. I've configured a wireless router to use dhcp, set my laptop up with the default gateway of the IP address of my desktop, and use a fixed IP. The secret was making sure my subnet was the same as the cable company. I can connect to the internet from downstairs with no cabling. Does that help at all? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
Voltaire -born Francois-Marie Arouet- (1694-1778); French writer.

Hi Glen

The configuration I'm trying to get working looks like this:
Code:
CABLE MODEM            WINXP       LINKSYS        LAPTOP
     |                 |   |        |  |             |
     +----- USB -------+   +- ETH --+  +-- WIRELESS -+

Is it similar to what you have ?

Connecting the CABLE MODEM directly to the LINKSYS WAN Port does the job but I have found that using the USB interafce of my cable modem to the XP gets me much better throughput than the Ethernet one ( at least 2X ).

In this configuration, the LINKSYS will be more than a HUB and Wirless Access Point than anything else. So the XP has to be the one routing traffic throgh the Internet.

With both networks enabled at the XP all its IP traffic is trying to get out through the Ethernet card so I guess I have to find the way of using the XP as a router.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cesar González

PD Internet Conenction Sharingr forces you to have a specific addressing scheme at your Home Network so I would like something else.

Cable Modem ->Linksys Wireless Router ->Cable ->W2K
->Wireless Laptop
W2K is hard wired and serves as the gateway for the laptop. The trick I found was that the cable company used a subnet mask of 255.255.252.0. This is where I had my problem, I started by using 255.255.255.0. Since cable is using dhcp, and my laptop is using a fixed ip, I have to watch when the cable company changes my w2k machines ip address, since that changes the gateway for the laptop. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
Voltaire -born Francois-Marie Arouet- (1694-1778); French writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back